2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'99 Blazer coolant leak

Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member
edacsac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '99 Blazer coolant leak

Hi all,

I'm new here and hope soemone can help. I have a '99 blazer LS with about 56K on it. I've had a laundry list of problems since I bought it new in '99, but I'm not going to go there, since I'm sure it has been discussed. But needless to say, I've spent so much money on repairs over the last year, that I'm out of money.

I have a coolant leak, but I can't find it. When I first noticed it I planned out a Saturday to replace the water pump. From the experience I've had with every other car I've owned, leaking coolant = water pump. After poking around with a friend on a whole saturday (who is very good with auto repair), we couldn't find a leak. Made sure coolant level was correct, left it running, took it on several highway trips, no leak. Left it sit for hours, no leak.

When I don't have time to investigate, it leaks like crazy. This has been a back and forth game. But none the less, I can't find where its leaking. From the location of the pubbles it leaves, points to the water pump area or the front center of the motor. All the hoses and connections are dry. Other than the leak it runs great. No different than before the leak. No noises, no squeaks, just a leak.I'd like to fix this myself, since mechanics in the detroit area seem to charge 2 ot 3 times what I've read about repair averages of things I've had done to mine. But, I'm also reading that it could be a manifold gasket. If it is, I don't have the skills nor the time for that.

Any opinions? Any particular diagnosis techniques I can apply? It seems like when it gets warmer it leaks more. I'm filling my coolant overflow from dry to full every few days now, but when I go to work in the morning, there is signs of barely a half cup of coolant when I leave for work. But just running out to lunch today, I come back and it's a serious drip. Any idea if I have a couple fo months to save up for repairs? Am I going to find myself in a tough spot if I continue to drive until I have repair money, or should I start taking the bus?

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '99 Blazer coolant leak

Does the truck overheat? Maybe its coming from the cap or the resvoir.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
edacsac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '99 Blazer coolant leak

No overheating. Temperature stays within operating range.

When I said it leaks more when it gets warmer, I meant warmer as in the outside weather/temperature, not engine temperature.