2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stripped Sun Visor screw holes

Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default Stripped Sun Visor screw holes

So I've been trying to fix some things on my 2000 Jimmy that have been broken for LONG time. I have another thread going about the A/C, I ordered and installed the GM seatfix reciner handle a few weeks ago, and I may try to tackle the cruise control later. But my question right now is, does anyone have any idea how to repair the stripped threads that are in the plastic ceiling piece that the visor atttaches to? If it's sunny out and you pull too hard, the whole thing almost comes right off. Someone recommended I try this: http://www.amazon.com/Woodmate-1298-.../dp/B001B3FW1C, but I can't find it at any store and there's no way I'm paying for shipping on something that cost a dollar. Does anybody have some ideas. I bet there's a simple solution and I'm just dumb. I've tried looking to replace the piece in the ceiling, but internet searches have come up zilch. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that it threads into plastic? I can't say as I have ever had a sun visor off of an s-series, but about every vehicle (new or old) that I have removed them from, the visors thread into the metal roof sub-structure either directly, or through those fastener clips. Maybe the clips are missing, damaged, or pushed off to the side?? If that is the setup, the clips should be able to be purchased from the 'help' section in your nearest Autozone. Take a look up there and see.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 AM

I'll have to double check that. I know that the piece underneath the bracket definitely is plastic, but I'll investigate further. Won't have a chance for a couple of days though. Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM

So I took everything apart, and the screws definitely screw into the plastic piece I mentioned. I was wrong though, as the hole wasn't stripped, just the piece is damaged, so threre's no way for the screw to grab anything. So I need a new one of these. I have looked at rock auto, they don't seem to have anything related. Have also googled, and the only thing that I can find for visor-related parts is the visors themselves, and from the pictures/descriptions, I can't tell if what I need comes with them. I'm not sure, but I think that I need a new part, as opposed to something used, because I think that the part is designed for one-time installation. It looks like when first installed, the three clips are compressed to allow insertion into the holes into the ceiling. When you thread the screws to attach the visors, it forces the clips downward and to expand, locking it into place. I had to make some, ahem, "modifications" to get it to go back in after taking the pictures below. Is there a parts source that I may have overlooked that would have this? I don't think that this is something I could get at the auto parts store, right? If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

do you ever plan to have it back off??? if not get some of that super silicone. and stick it back up there. or tear your headliner back and weld a nut up there so your screws will thread in that hole.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't have a welder, and I've tried using adhesives. Even if I could glue the plastic piece up there somehow, the screws wouldn't tighten since it's damaged.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 PM

So in case anyone has the same problem, try using toggle bolts. I bought three of these today and tried it and seems to be on there pretty solid. $.75 instead of spending $200 on a whole new visor just to replace one piece of plastic.