2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer poor mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member
xpsychox is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer poor mpg

Its the wife's vehicle and its only getting round 12.2 mpg. She drives to work and round town. Ruffly 10-12 miles one way. 55mph no highway I've done valve cover gaskets(was leaking...was sooooo much fun) spark plug wires distributor cap and rotor. Haven't done plugs yet due to how much of a pain in the *** it is. I know the steering wheel is a tad loose and I aso known it needs new tires and possibly an alignment. Other than that I have no idea.. No excess weight in vehicle (not even spare tire) ideas please? Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member

Forgot to mention just had new exhaust put on (got vehicle with no cat. Converter and still doesn't.)

Last edited by xpsychox; 07-14-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

when is the last time you did the fuel filter?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by canuck blazer
when is the last time you did the fuel filter?
Never only owned vehicle for 2 maybe 3 months..

Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Beginning Member
lavrishevo is on a distinguished road

Clean the MAF senor and throttle body. The difference can be drastic if the MAF sensor is dirty. Very easy to clean as well. How are the plugs? Have you cleaned the fuel injectors with anything as well? Fuel filter would not hurt. Also, the bottom of the distributor can corrode over time time. it's not much more to just replace the whole distributor. Yours may not be in this condition but my friends 2000 ZR2 needed this even though he replaced the cap and some sensor inside the distributor.

Last edited by lavrishevo; 07-15-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lavrishevo
Clean the MAF senor and throttle body. The difference can be drastic if the MAF sensor is dirty. Very easy to clean as well. Fuel filter would not hurt.
OK...I've cleaned the intake gotten the carbon build up cleaned...I'll give the MAF a good cleaning...any other ideas?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xpsychox
OK...I've cleaned the intake gotten the carbon build up cleaned...I'll give the MAF a good cleaning...any other ideas?
You said it had no Cat....have the engine checked at Autozone or other place for error codes. I'm pretty sure there are O2 sensors on the cat that can make the engine run rich if they're wrong.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by dobyken
You said it had no Cat....have the engine checked at Autozone or other place for error codes. I'm pretty sure there are O2 sensors on the cat that can make the engine run rich if they're wrong.
Shouldn't be..only check engine code I'm getting bank 1 sensor 3 which just controls emissions.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Beginning Member
lavrishevo is on a distinguished road

How about the plugs? Are they in good shape?

Also, it is possible the ECM is going into a preset mode with the emissions code. Forcing a predetermined setting.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lavrishevo
How about the plugs? Are they in good shape?

Also, it is possible the ECM is going into a preset mode with the emissions code. Forcing a predetermined setting.
Again, haven't touched the plugs.. The one I took out it kittelytook. Me 45 to get back in.. It was normal wear n tear no excess black it looked good (was on driver side closet to firewall).

Quick Reply: 99 blazer poor mpg