Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   99 blazer security light disarm? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/99-blazer-security-light-disarm-8618/)

clays99blazer 02-08-2007 10:47 AM

99 blazer security light disarm?

Hi I have a 99 chevy blazer that I am having starting issues with. I need help bad. I can't afford to pay a dealer right now and I hope it's an easy fix. The problem is that my security light on the dash is on and sometimes blinking and it is disabling my fuel pump just after ignition[I THINK]. Sometimes it starts fine and runs great other times it just won't start at all. The battery cranks strong and the engine starts but immediately stalls. Today it started fine but I am nervous about taking it anywhere and being stranded. This has been happening for about 2 weeks. The gas tank is almost full and it's not a battery problem cuz it doesn't help with a jump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot cool web site.

Kordog 02-08-2007 07:28 PM

RE: 99 blazer security light disarm?

Most likely the passlock security sensor in the lock cylinder is at times loosing contact and not sending the proper signal to the computer. If this is the problem a temporary repair is to use only WD40 and spray into the lock cylinder. Then work the lock cylinder back and forth a few times. Hopefully this will work until you can get it replaced. Korey

petermauro 08-20-2007 07:24 AM

passlock security sensor

I think I have the same problem.
Is there a way to definitely pin it to the passlock sensor?
And, can I just disable the passlock system?

Peter

Dabber 08-20-2007 01:39 PM

RE: passlock security sensor

Mine has done the same thing a couple times since I got it. I took it back to the dealer(warranty work) They said they couldn't find what was wrong unless i brought it in when the light was actually on(means tow truck fees) No way!! I just carry an old 8mm wrench in the center console, if the light comes on I just disconnect the battery for a min then reconnect and I am on my way.

petermauro 08-20-2007 02:40 PM

Hi Dabbler,

When you say " light " I assume you mean the " security " light on the dash .

Isn't disconnecting the battery a lot of work, especially in the winter.
Have you attempted a permanent fix.
Someone suggested a worn out key, is that possible?

Peter

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Korey, what effect does WD 40 have?
If the problem is a bad electrical contact, does the WD 40 clean the contact?

Peter

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combined consecutive posts. Please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive posting is prohibitted by the rules of the forum

petermauro 08-20-2007 02:54 PM

Everyone following this thread,

Now, I can't get the damn thing to fail.
It starts every time, but , I'm afraid to go anywhere, because it might fail when I get there.
Has any one found a way to make the problem appear?

Peter

Dabber 08-20-2007 06:08 PM

I don't know about it being a pain in the butt in the winter, never happen to me then. As for the worn out key I doubt it cause both my keys would not work when the light appeared. Mine is a Canadian truck so I have the car with a lock through it for the light, I was told it was the passlock light. I have nevr tried a permanent fix yet. I got my tuck in Nov of 2004 and it has happened only three times since then. You could always get one of the battery quick disconnects(never used them myself). The wrench is more of a convienence(spelling) since it doesn't happen often enough to reaaly worry and the dealer says they couldn't find anything wrong.

petermauro 08-21-2007 05:51 AM

Well, I guess if I get stuck somewhere , I can rely on your fix, disconnect the battery.
What does " ...so I have the car with a lock through it for the light..." , I don't understand what that means.
Have you seen the tsb # 010856001 that addresses this problem?
Here is the link: https://blazerforum.com/m_63388/mpag..._/tm.htm#63388

That tsb describes a lot of work, but , your truck is under warrentee, so , you can make the dealer do it.

Peter

Dabber 08-21-2007 10:39 AM

If I am not mistaken the american cars/trucks have just a "security" light that comes on. on the canadian version it has a symbol of a car with a lock through it. When I took my truck in to the dealer for this, I asked if there was a TSB for anything like this and they said it was for the olderblazers(like your link said) so they checked a couple of those things and found nothing. So I took it to a friends father who deals with this exact dealership all the time(they have 3 vehicles and trade in one every year for a new one) and he took it in just to see what they say. Well they ended up replacing all the same stuff that was in the TSB. Still no fix. So I pretty much said to hell with it and put the wrench in the truck. If it gets more persistent then they can fix everything.Cause I tried to get it fixed under warranty.