2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer woes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
waynec is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer woes!

My son bought a 99 blazer 4.3, it started running rough and died on him, got it to start and limped it into a walmart parking lots, went down , engine cranks but will not start, towed it home, run a obd2 scan got codes p0101,p0300, and p1153, any ideas were to start!,it;s the sons first car and between the high insurance and low funds he doesn,t have the cash to send it to the stealership! any help or direction would be great!
Thanks WAyne!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

None of those three are cause for no run/no start.

First thing is to see if all inst panel lites are on at key on. SES, especially. Then that fuel pump runs at key turned on. You may have to listen at the tank.. rear driver side.

If it doesnt, the problem is likely either fuel pump failure or bad connector at the fuel pump. To see if there's another reason, have son turn key on while you listen closely to see if the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse box clicks. It should click again turning off after about two seconds, this is called the prime cycle.
Then swap it with one of the other relays of same type and see if FP runs.

If FP runs, check for spark.. best way its to use an old plug pull accessible wire and watch for blue strong spark.

If FP runs and there's spark, and still doesnt start crank for ten seconds while holding accel to floor, this is the 'clear flooding' drill.

Whether or not that works, you will need to do a prime cycle fuel pressure/leak down test. This requires a FP guage .. suggest Harbor freight about twenty five otherwise will be about $50 at local car parts store.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-12-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
waynec is on a distinguished road

fp is running, relay is clicking and i have a strong blue spark, what i did notice and i got it to start briefly was that if i turned the key on for 10 seconds and then cranked it over it would start and idle for a minute before stalling again!, fuel filter maybe or water in gas, we did have a cold snap the day it started acting up!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by waynec
fp is running, relay is clicking and i have a strong blue spark, what i did notice and i got it to start briefly was that if i turned the key on for 10 seconds and then cranked it over it would start and idle for a minute before stalling again!, fuel filter maybe or water in gas, we did have a cold snap the day it started acting up!
That could well be.. pretty much a thing of the past since I got smart.

You still need to do the fuel pressure check..
But do go get a filter and can of water absorber.
Tell your son to only buy from high volume well kept stations whose main business is selling gas.

Even if all gas was the same coming from the tanker, which it isnt, all gas of the same brand going into your tank is not the same either.