2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

v8 swap, help needed and appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM
barter1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help need info!

I have a 2001 s10 blazer 2 door with a 4.3 and a 4l60-E.

i want to put a 5.3 vortec in it. i can get the engine, with all accesories including the brain box. the engine runs on a stand and all, its out of a 2003 avanlanche.
i need to know everything. is it possible? what do i need to remove/add modify?
will i need to cut frame, tranny? please help, first big build, need help. any information is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails v8 swap, help needed and appreciated.-621711_10151107522073330_1807815384_o.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 PM

so there is no pulling the 4.3, dropping a 5.3 in, swithcing out the computers and being done is there? i'm going to have to tear the front end off of my car correct? especially if i want the 4x4 to work?

Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

4x4 is going to need a special oil pan to clear it. you really need EVERYTHING out of the parts truck (wire harness,ecm etc) and put it in what you have.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:57 PM

well all i can get is the engine and the brain box.. it has all of the engine components alternator ac, you know that stuff no radiator no fans no tranny nothing, will it mount up to my 4l60e? what else will i need? frame notching? motor mounts are a given but anything else?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Wire harness,computer,possible tune,I dont think the ac compressor will fit unless you notch the frame,and maybe a million little issues you will find along the way.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 PM

so i could find the wireing harness and computer from the same year truck and be okay?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by barter1
so i could find the wireing harness and computer from the same year truck and be okay?
that will be part of the project. a lot more to it...

Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

HAHA you need to do some research!!! As Chris and Diata have said there is alot more that goes into a swap than just putting the motor in and driving away! To do an LS swap you need alot. First off unless you are really good at reading wiring schematics and then understanding enough to rewire and repin connectors which most people can't to this magnitude including myself you are going to need to buy a complete harness from Current Performance wiring or others which start around $750. Then you need to figure out motor mounts. Either you can make them yourself or buy some with either option comes the chance you may have to move the motor forward or back a bit. Once you have that figured out you have to modify a oil pan to work for the 4x4 chassis. I belive you will also have to swap out the flexplate to match up the trans. Once the motor is situated you may have to modify the trans cross member to fit properly. Once you have that accomplished you have to figure out things like the ac and other motor accesories like Chris said unless you run without it. Your options are to notch the frame or use alternate brackets to top mount it(no I'm not telling you what will work for this cause it can be found online). Once you have that figured out theres still the issue of how you are going to cool the motor. Most people modify the core support to move the rad forward and run electric fans but there are other alternatives out there that can also be found with a bit of searching. Oh and then you have to run headers and custom exhaust. You will need a tune to run the motor. Then there are always a million different things that pop up on every build I have ever read to deal with! If you have made it his far then hopefully you should be about to drive it out of the garage and be on your way. Just because the motor is cheap doesnt mean the swap is cheap!! You are honestly looking at another $2k conservativley on top of the motor cost to do an LS swap unless you are really crafty and patient enough to spend the next year gathering parts as you find them super cheap. I love watching these swap threads but I just wish you would spend more time researching and finding out what you are getting into rather than taking the lazy route and wanting everyone to tell you how to do it. Keep us updated if you end up doing it please

Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Starting Member
heyhey123 is on a distinguished road

ok.... i must say that i have spent hours trying to sift thru all the "search for it" replies and rex has the best answer i'v found in a long time. it would be so so nice if people would answer questions in stead of spewing crap out there mouth. i'm just tired of searching and getting no results. and i have never posted a question cuz i know someone will just be like "search for it" wtf why do you think i'm asking cuz i have searched and have "NOT" found the answer.

Quick Reply: v8 swap, help needed and appreciated.