2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS and Brake light comes on and off at same time

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS and Brake light comes on and off at same time

Twice this week, I had a incident with my 2003 Blazer, where after shutting it off briefly and starting it again, the ABS and Brake light would stay on. I still have brake but after driving over 10 miles and shutting it off and then use it again they would be off. What would be causing that?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

ABS Sensors most likely. They can be cleaned. I assuming you have good pads & your fluid is full?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Starting Member

Yes, brakes passed in last inspection this year and fluid is full. Where are the abs sensors? How do you clean them?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 AM
spittybays

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...plugged-60612/ Only problem is most of the time people start cleaning the abs sensors is because there coming on at low speed. You can feel it happen. Am I correct that your not feeling any brake problems, just the lights?

Last edited by spittybays; 09-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member
762mm is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)

First off, you will need a professional code reader in order to retrieve ABS trouble codes, as the regular readers won't read them. I had the same symptoms, except that mine got to the point where the ABS + red parking brake light would just stay on all the time (at first it was intermittent, then got progressively worse and finally would light up as soon as the key was turned in the ignition and stay on 100% of the time). At first, I had the ABS sensors and a wheel bearing replaced thinking they might be the culprits, but it didn't do diddly squat to fix the problem!

My mechanic (a GM dealership vet) tested my Jimmy on a SnapOn pro reader he has at his garage and it came out with the P0265 code: EBCM relay fault. In plain English, it means that the ABS module (which sits on top of the master cylinder in the engine compartment) is shot. A very common thing with the Blazers and Jimmys, apparently.

I found a company called BBA Remanufacturing on eBay that operates in the US and Canada and services these units (my unit is called a "Kelsey Hayes 325" on my 2001 Jimmy). They've rebuilt it for $112 tax in and UPS shipping paid both ways. The truck can be driven with the unit off, which essentially means that you don't need to park it for the duration of the repair... which usually takes less than one business day.

Once plugged back in, the unit works 100% and the dash lights are FINALLY gone for good. Oh and by the way, the repair service comes with a lifetime warranty too... a much better deal than a used junkyard unit, IMHO.

Here's the eBay listing in question (note: this one is for Canadian customers) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180836539685?...84.m1497.l2649

Here's a guy replacing his EBCM on a Blazer:

(Note: he only has a yellow ABS light lit on the instrument cluster because his EBCM unit is off during filming... my did the same thing, when I pulled mine off, the red parking brake light went out and only the ABS light remained)

[youtube]FFXUfagp5RI[/youtube]

Last edited by 762mm; 09-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Starting Member

Hello, Finally got to a dealer to read codes and suprising found they did it for free, just to read codes, not do the whole dianostics. But this is what I got:
C0265-EBCM Motor Relay Circuit
C0241-EBCM Control Valve Circuit
C0242- "
C0245- "
C0251- "
C0252- "

Obviously, the EBCM need replaced? Any incite? What do you think about those rebuilt one vs. a new one other than price?

Last edited by kmartin; 06-09-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Starting Member

I wish someone were to help me. I thought this is web page to go get help.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Ken,
After reading through this posting, it appears that the ECBM relay has failed on your vehicle as 762mm wrote about as the first error code is the same.
Time to remove this component and ship it off for repair.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kmartin
I wish someone were to help me. I thought this is web page to go get help.

Be patient grasshopper, help will come

Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by newguy
Be patient grasshopper, help will come
Sorry for being impatient. I was just used to seeing someone reply the same day before. I just kinda anxious that I may have a fix and like to get it done, but now I realizie that I need to learn more and also found out that my module may not be fixable. I give it a more few days of learning and researching and hope that I don't have do a professional dianostic and hope I have a Kelsey-Haynes 325.

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light comes on and off at same time