2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS / Brake Light Dash Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Daninehnj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS / Brake Light Dash Indicator

[:@]Hi All,

I have a 2001 Blazer that has a slight problem. Once in a while the ABS and the Regular Brake light indictors light up on the dashboard panel. It does not happen all the time and if I turn the car off and start it again, the lights will not come on. I solved the problem by putting a piece of black electrical tape over the dashboard indicators so I cannot see the lights when they do come on. Okay, maybe that won't solve the problem but it keeps me from getting annoyed.
I was wondering if I still have the ABS system working or if it is just the regular brake system that works when the lights are on. I'm sure that in order to fix the problem it will cost a fortune since I'm positive they will tell me that the computer needs replacement and I can't afford that cost. A few months ago only the ABS light came on and I had to replace the front bearings assembly which , as you all know, also replaces the ABS sensors.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan

Old 02-22-2007, 01:18 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: ABS / Brake Light Dash Indicator

My ABS lamp came on recently too. If the lamp is illuminated there is no antilock. Unfortunately it could be a number of things. ABS module, the wheel/hubs themselves...... Youneed a good scantool like the vertronix tech2 or a Snap On ect. to diagnose the exact problem.

I would get it checked since the brake lamp is illuminated. Could mean the difference of avoiding an accident.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I think lastcoupe stated you can remove the two allen screws and clean something in the hub/bearing assy. I don't remember.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:26 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe this will help:

Brake Warning Indicator
The instrument panel cluster (IPC) illuminates the brake warning indicator when the following occurs:
[*]The body control module (BCM) detects that the park brake is engaged. The IPC receives a class2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.[*]The EBCM detects a low brake fluid condition and sends a class2 message to the IPC.[*]The IPC performs the bulb check.[*]An ABS-disabling malfunction also disables dynamic rear proportioning (DRP). [/ul]
ABS Indicator
The IPC illuminates the ABS indicator when the following occurs:
[*]The electronic brake control module (EBCM) detects an ABS-disabling malfunction. The IPC receives a class2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.[*]The IPC performs the bulb check.[*]The IPC detects a loss of class2 communications with the EBCM. [/ul]