2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS light comes on and then goes off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Beginning Member
Seabbatical is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS light comes on and then goes off?

I have searched high and low and couldn't find anything in the forum about the ABS light that is orange and above the speed and rpm gauges. Just wondering if anyone knows why the light would come on at random times and then turn off at random times? Trought it might have been the brake fluid level, but I don't know.

Thanks,
Troy

Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 AM
spyder is on a distinguished road

Possibly a wheel speed sensor?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ABS light indicates a problem with the ABS system. There are many threads on this subject.

As spyder stated, it is likely a WSS issue. I doubt the WSS is bad, but the sensor may be dirty, the air gap to the reluctor ring may be excessive, or the wiring may be damaged. You can test the WSS with a multimeter set to the mV-AC scale. The proper range of output should be 250mV-AC to 350mV-AC.

Here is one of my replies in another related thread:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
You can check the sensors yourself with a multimeter set to the mV-AC setting. Disconnect the WSS (wheel speed sensor) and connect the multimeter to the two leads in the connector to the sensor. Spin the wheel. The mV-AC output should be around 300mV for a properly working WSS. Check both.

If it is below 250mV-AC, then you have a sensor problem that could be due to excessive air gap between the sensor and the reluctor ring inside the hub. This can be cured by filing down the surface that the sensor mounts to on the hub assembly. This will tighten the air gap, increasing the output of the sensor.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain!.. I had this same problem and solved it by simply removing the wheel speed sensors and wiping them off with a clean rag. They were just dirty with road grime, etc. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Beginning Member
Seabbatical is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I'll try cleaning the sensors off first since the truck does have 141,000 on it. They are the only sensors attached to the brakes correct?

Thanks,

Troy

Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that's correct. There's one on each side. Also, check to make sure the wire leading to the sensor has not been severed or corroded in some way. Any breaking of this connection will cause sensor failure and trip the ABS light. This happened to me when my left ball joint popped last year. Good luck.

Oh yeah -- if it's the right one you're having a problem with, I'll sell you mine. I replaced the left, but my right one didn't need replacing. However, mine was for a '96 Blazer. Not completely sure if it will work on a '99. If anybody else knows the answer to this, please reply. Thanks.

Last edited by Psychropod; 07-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
blazerdevil01 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Hmmmm...

I have a similiar issue, except when my ABS light comes on (randomly like yours) my Parking brake warning light also comes on. Could it be the same issue? I was told it could be the module, or a bearing in the front wheels.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazerdevil01
I have a similiar issue, except when my ABS light comes on (randomly like yours) my Parking brake warning light also comes on. Could it be the same issue? I was told it could be the module, or a bearing in the front wheels.
Give THIS thread a good read through. And yes, could be the module or the bearings. I'd try cleaning the sensors as bandidolenny suggested first.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
cutlas76 is on a distinguished road

how do you let go the sensor.of the hub(backing plate i call it)don't see any bolts..so does it slide on and off....also my airbag warning lite is coming on(only in gear)..when you go from drive to neurtral, you here a noise..and all power goes out.for a sec..radio goes out.then abs and airbag lits are on..my remote start works but truck will not start,,keeps turning over..like a switch is keeping it from starting...without remote truck starts fine..so..can wheel sensors cause all this??

Last edited by cutlas76; 07-09-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member
BIG-RED is on a distinguished road
Smile I have ur answer

Originally Posted by Seabbatical
I have searched high and low and couldn't find anything in the forum about the ABS light that is orange and above the speed and rpm gauges. Just wondering if anyone knows why the light would come on at random times and then turn off at random times? Trought it might have been the brake fluid level, but I don't know.

Thanks,
Troy
it is the Variable Speed Sensor. It is located at the back of the trany on-top of the crankshaft. its about $150 for the part and I had to go to a dealer to get the right one. I have a 2000 Ls 4x4.

AJ

Attached Thumbnails ABS light comes on and then goes off?-100_4062.jpg   ABS light comes on and then goes off?-100_4067.jpg   ABS light comes on and then goes off?-100_4068.jpg  

Quick Reply: ABS light comes on and then goes off?