2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS Light on & No 2nd gear or Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS Light on & No 2nd gear or Speedometer

Hello, I have a 2000 chevy blazer 4x4 4dr. The ABS light came on, and the speedometer, trip odometer and the car does not shift into 2nd gear. The ABS light turns on after driving about 100 yards. And I can only go about 15 mph or 20 mph max. No 2nd gear. But, then after about 3 miles the ABS light goes off and back to normal. But, just today, the ABS light stayed on for more than 3 miles. I took it to my shop and they said they will look at it on Monday. What could be wrong with my blazer?? I heard it could be the VSS or some sensor that tells the car when to shift into gears. I am no expert, but its kinda bad when your car cannot shift into 2nd gear. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The VSS is used for all of the items you mentioned. You can remove and clean it to see if that helps. There are also resistance values given in at least one other thread on the forum. "VSS+resistance" in the search box should get the info for you so you can test the sensor itself.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Starting Member

I will see what my shop comes up with. Could be a blown fuse or the VSS like you said. What does ECU stand for? Could that be blown or not working right? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ECU = Engine Control Unit. I doubt that the ECU is your problem. Test the resistance & output from the VSS. If that is in check, the problem may be with the wiring from the VSS to the ECU.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Starting Member

Okay, Update. My mechanic called about the blazer. He said they could not find anything wrong with the car. I was like, "I don't have 2nd gear at all, that cannot be good." Does any error codes show up when you have this same problem with a blazer?? He took it for a test ride and the samething happened to him that happened to me. No speedometer and no 2nd gear and all that. So, he brought it back to shop and nothing comes up obviously on the computer or whatever, to tell them what to fix. I dunno. He says its "something major." Sound like BS to you?? Like I said and others have had the same problem---its the VSS or ECU. I do not see why they don't know that. I mean they don't have the internet or anything at my shop to search for similar symptoms and all that. I told them it was the VSS. They said they would look at it or whatever. Car has been there since saturday morning. What should I do at this point? Thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Administrator

It is most definitely something to do with the VSS. Nothing major by any stretch of the imagination. Get your truck back from the yahoo's that have it currently and find someplace that is more competent. Or test it yourself with the information already provided on the forum.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Starting Member

Okay, got it!! I will take it to my other mechanic. How much does it cost for a problem like this? Just a ball park figure. Thanks.