2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS Light, Speedometer Malfunction, Transmission wont shift past 2nd gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for helping him, Stewart..................jerry @ Peru Motors

Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
ned4spd8874 is an unknown quantity at this point

How long did it take to replace the sensor? And how hard was it?

Last night my ABS turned on when I was almost in my driveway. I just chaulked it up to the bumpy road I live off of. But this morning on the way into work I noticed the ABS light on right away. Also, my spedo wasn't working. And then I realized it wasn't shifting out of First. It eventually shifted into Second (with a clunk), but now it won't leave Second gear.

I'm going to stop at the parts store on the way home and am going to attempt to replace the VSS tonight. I'm just looking for some insight as to what I'm about to get myself into.

Luckly, I live about 10 minutes from work, so it's no big deal to drive 35-40mph for such a short distance. But I need to get it fixed before too long!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member
steelcityneal is on a distinguished road

When i did it there were 2 back there.. the one on the drivers side on the top back part of the transfer case is the one that needs replaced. I replaced it and that stopped my problems and havnt had a problem since.. it was a pain to get to.. My fat chubby arms couldnt reach it my brother had to get to it .. but the part was only 28 bucks... little black thing with a magnet! good luck!! I hope all works out

Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM

Hmm...I replaced the one that you can get to from the passenger's side and that just made things much, much worse. I "saw" the one on the drivers side, but couldn't figure out how the heck to get to it! I'll have to try again later. I need stretchy, double-jointed arms to get to it I think!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member
thereverendbill is on a distinguished road

on mine I had to drop the tranny and transfer case down to where it was touching the torson bar cross member to get the one on top of the tail shaft. I wish that would have fied my problem but it still fails to shift, no speedo, and an ABS light on. i have checked all the wiring and it is intact and looks good. Where to go next?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 PM

After I replaced the one on the driver's side, my problems went away and it's now working like it should. Make sure you replace both of them. One of the passenger's side and the one on the driver's side. The passenger side was a breeze. The driver's side sucked. I basically replaced it blind.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it all fixed back up and on the road!

The one on the driver side is the only one you needed to replace. The one on the passenger side is used by the TCCM only, not the PCM.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Thanks! Yes, I am very relieved to have it working now! However, I'm still struggling with my other issue (see my other post if you wish: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/99-runs-like-its-molasses-when-full-throttle-45830/). I'll probably have to take it into the shop for that one though.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM
srfrdan is on a distinguished road
Smile

i had these same symptoms and this thread helped me. thanx --dan

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Starting Member
Colorado is on a distinguished road

This exact problem happened to my 99 Blazer this past Saturday. I googled BLAZER ABS SPEEDO TRANSMISSION and found this site. Replaced VSS, problem solved. Thanks a lot and a GREAT SITE.!!

Quick Reply: ABS Light, Speedometer Malfunction, Transmission wont shift past 2nd gear.