2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS and PARKING BREAK light

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
XtreeX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS and PARKING BREAK light

Hey fellas.

I have a 2001 2 dr LS blazer. I currently have just a few issues left i need to remedy before I sell it. The two problems have been looked at from a few different mechanics and each time they say something different. The problem is on my dash my ABS (orange) light flickers when I drive. Same thing with the Parking (red) light. They alternate and flicker inconsistently on and off, and ONLY when I'm in motion. Not in park or anything.

One mechanic said I needed to replace my ABS sensor. The ****tard told me it was a $50 part. Turned out, after some research, you can ONLY replace the entire wheel bearings. After doing so, the ABS light is STILL ON.

Another mechanic told me its the sensor in the ABS pump. But when I took my car to another place to get one more quote, they said its my Parking Break Release Bracket and to take care of that first then worry about the ABS light, because the pumps RARELY go bad. According to him...

With that being said, there is a slight hum in the back of my car and I'm sure its the E-Brake. When I push the pedal down it does not stick or do anything. Any ideas? Any similiar problems>?

TIA guys and gals

Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS and PARKING BREAK light

edit, never mind, didnt read the post fully

Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 AM

I know this is probally very common but I've been told 3 different things here and I dont want to keep replacing parts on it until it goes away. I really dont have the money to be wasting $200 for a abs pump and not even fix the issue. So I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone on this board has the ability to trouble shoot this with me. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of times the ABS light flickering is caused by worn or broken wires. I would recommend that you fully inspect the wiring to both of the front wheels as well as the rear axle speed sensor in the back of the transmission (2wd) or transfercase (4wd). We have seen a few odd problems related to worn/damaged wiring in the ABS system.

A dirty reluctor ring (square cut gear) which the ABS sensor uses to sense the wheel speed. If brake dust or road debris builds up in the recesses of the ring, it can cause skips. This typically will cause the ABS pump to activate intermittently...

With the parking brake light... Well, you could always try to support the parking brake pedal with something for a bit.. Like a zip tie to hold it up and see if it isn't just slop in the mount.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 AM

Ill look into the abs, that was very helpful!

The parking brake will stay up like normal, but it doesn't stay locked down when i push it in. It also has no effect when I push it in (tried it while moving)

Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the ratchet mechanism. If that is ok then have the emergency brake pads checked, they may be wornout...

And if you are confident enough to remove the sensor from the hub then you could try to clean the surface of excessive dirt/rust and that might fix your flickering light problem...even though it is in the hub it is removeable....

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 AM

Definitely don't want to try doing that myself... Especially if I don't even know if that's the problem.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 PM

UPDATE: got the Parking Brake release bracket installed and the e-brake works great! But the Orange ABS light and Red Parking Light are both still flashing. The only dealer in town is NOTORIOUS for being terrible and charging exponentially what everything should cost.

So any ideas? BTW everything is working great on the car, 4x4, Brakes (ABS does not turn on), new wheel bearings.... I have yet to try the bad wiring. But the ca has only 72k miles on it so I don't think it would be degragation of the wiring. I could be wrong though Just any other thoughts?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could go and have him read the codes... Usually they charge a flat 1hr to read the codes.

And I doubt that it is wire degradation that is causing it... But a pinched wire can happen when new if something gets up in where it doesn't belong...