2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC Delco lifters HL120 $32 each???

Old 01-05-2019, 04:06 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

For vehicles in good to very good shape and over 25 years you may consider a create engine, but never let go of an original core which matches the vehicle. Even if it's broken, but still available the value of some cars and trucks rises quite a bit when the engine it was built with is available.
Then with a crate engine in you have time to rebuild, but spend the money for the crate AND the rebuild.

I'm building the V6 because I can, because I need the same engine to stay in the truck to keep a plate on the Blazer, because it's fun, because I'd rather try the hard stuff instead of a well worn tuning path on the 350 V8 (don't get me wrong there - that's a very nice path to trod), because I have this second engine at hand that fits my 94 Blazer, because I have no wife AND no kids - equals the money at hand.

Nevertheless - it's simply fun building!

Keep up the work - have a great 2019!

Old 01-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Kids are all right My 14yo daughter helps me turning wrenches. I used to take her to the off-road track and let her drive once we're done. This winter day of today, she pulled me for off road & fishing. I must say, Blazer things magically unite us

Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear that Mike.308

and that is one thing being able to say that with a 14 year old.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:45 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zenith
I've called many of the "crate engine" re-builders and I'm not impressed. None of them replace the camshaft. None of them replace the pistons unless its necessary. Most of these places use the SAME valve springs...WTF? My engine has 165,000 miles on it, wouldn't dream of using those old parts on a new rebuild.

My parts list without machining is at $1500 for high quality all new parts that include new camshaft, lifters, valve springs, pistons, rings, bearings, high volume oil pump, high end gasket kits, etc. The only thing I wont replace are piston rods, crank and internal balancer and roller rockers.

I've read a lot of reviews of all the engine re-builders and its some scary stuff. A lot of these engines fail around the 5,000 mile mark. Gee, I wonder why? Lets see.........old camshafts, valve springs, old pistons that are most likely worn at some point....Cheap, Cheap, Piston rings and bearings not to mention most new parts they use are that cheap Chinese crap. I've seen complete engine re-build kits for $300. Heck my pistons alone are going to cost that.

I will re-build this myself along with a machine shop for around the $2500 mark, with very high quality internals.

I guess the old saying still stands: If you want it done right, do it yourself.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...91869/10002/-1

Comes with GM front cover and GM oil pump and two different GM oil pump pickups in OEM boxes. New everything. 3 year/100K mile warranty. You don't get a warranty with your own rebuild. Jeg's doesn't require core and gives free shipping. You might be able to find for no tax somewhere, but good to have Jegs to back you up for warranty purposes. I would check prices. Mine has 30K miles on it so far.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LesMyer
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...91869/10002/-1

Comes with GM front cover and GM oil pump and two different GM oil pump pickups in OEM boxes. New everything. 3 year/100K mile warranty. You don't get a warranty with your own rebuild. Jeg's doesn't require core and gives free shipping. You might be able to find for no tax somewhere, but good to have Jegs to back you up for warranty purposes. I would check prices. Mine has 30K miles on it so far.

Thanks Les.....That may be the deal I'm looking for. I need to call Jegs and confirm the internals are new, if so, it would be foolish for me to build my own.

Gotta love this forum and all the great people here who help.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zenith
Thanks Les.....That may be the deal I'm looking for. I need to call Jegs and confirm the internals are new, if so, it would be foolish for me to build my own.

Gotta love this forum and all the great people here who help.
I found this

https://gmserviceinsights.com/2013/0...rket-rebuilds/

Based on this document it looks like GM guarantees new pistons/rings/timing gears/chain/oil pump/bearings/valve seats (implying rebore block and regrind of crankshaft and sizing rods). The rest is apparently evaluated and either replaced or reused, depending on the condition. Most heads will need new valves and guides and surfaced on a routine basis - so that is most likely done. I have a hard time believing they would reuse a camshaft and lifters and rockers and pushrods, and valve springs but it seems that could be possible. I would guess that the block gets line honed. That's all I could find. They do give you the upgraded timing tensioner and front cover (even though Jegs doesn't say so).

Note that 3 year 100K warranty for a self-install does not include any labor - only the engine. Make sure you replace the radiator (oil cooler) or your warranty could be questioned later. Maintenance records would also be nice to keep. My warranty expires later this Winter!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-07-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
I found this

https://gmserviceinsights.com/2013/0...rket-rebuilds/

Based on this document it looks like GM guarantees new pistons/rings/timing gears/chain/oil pump/bearings/valve seats (implying rebore block and regrind of crankshaft and sizing rods). The rest is apparently evaluated and either replaced or reused, depending on the condition. Most heads will need new valves and guides and surfaced on a routine basis - so that is most likely done. I have a hard time believing they would reuse a camshaft and lifters and rockers and pushrods, and valve springs but it seems that could be possible. I would guess that the block gets line honed. That's all I could find. They do give you the upgraded timing tensioner and front cover (even though Jegs doesn't say so).

Note that 3 year 100K warranty for a self-install does not include any labor - only the engine. Make sure you replace the radiator (oil cooler) or your warranty could be questioned later. Maintenance records would also be nice to keep. My warranty expires later this Winter!

Great stuff. I also emailed Jegs on what info they have on these GM engines. Looks like a no brainer to me. Appreciate the help Les.