2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC/Heat stuck in front vent position

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member
ride_da_lightnin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AC/Heat stuck in front vent position

ok 1998 Blazer...A few days ago I heard a small vacuum leak coming from behind the dash, so I took off the cluster and I could see where the leak was coming from...The position control switch, I took off the vacuum cluster that is connected to the switch and noticed that there was suction coming from the black vacuum line only...I also noticed that when accelerating the suction goes away but when I let off the gas it returns...Is there supposed to be some other suction or air blowing out one of the other colored lines? I did get another actuator and plugged it in, and nothing changed...no matter what position the switch is in...it doesnt change anything....I dont think it is the switch upon inspection but thought I would ask you all for an opinion...Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: AC/Heat stuck in front vent position

Black line is the vacuum supply line to the HVAC control head. The mode changes made by you to the control head direct vacuum to the appropriate vacuum actuators in the dash. Run a search for 'vacuum actuator' or something similar and you should come across the diagrams and logic tables for both the automatic and manual HVAC controls.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply kyle, I am not sure what you mean...I did a search and all that came up was topic about the 4wd actuator...I did buy a new "mode actuator" and plugged in the electrical plug and that didnt help me...I am sorry could you explain more? Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Heater issues - Help I just moved to Boston from Ar...

That should cover it for you.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, so what part would you think I should replace? The schematic seems real confusing. I am pretty sure it is not the position switch...Thanks

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

I also dont have a problem with the temp setting..I get both hot and cold, just cant switch position.....

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member

I also dont have a problem with the temp setting..I get both hot and cold, just cant switch position.....

Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Well, do you have automatic climate control or manual?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Beginning Member

I would assume I have manual as it is a ****...How can I tell?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

If you had auto, you would set it to a temperature, not just a color (red/blue) and you would have an 'Auto' position for the mode and the fan.

So I would go through the logic chart, verifying that you have vacuum to the appropriate ports on the back of the control head when in the various modes. If that checks out, then I would inspect the lines to the individual actuators. You may need to disconnect the lines at each actuator as well.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Beginning Member

Ok it's manual and no matter what position the switch is in, the only suction is coming from the black vacuum line....like I said the heat control works just not the position...sorry i am being such a pain....thanks

Quick Reply: AC/Heat stuck in front vent position