2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

She just died!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road
Default She just died!

Yesterday me and the lil lady were just riding around and all of the sudden, my Blazer started losing power, I could hold it to the floor and it would pick up speed but very slowly, about a mile later it justshut off.

I can crank it up but, it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders.

Fuel pump has been very loud lately, ordered one from Rock Auto hopefully be here in a few days.

I noticed the smell of rotten eggs, I'm wondering if the cat might be clogged, also my wife said black smoke was coming from the tail pipe when I tried to restart it.

NO SES light.

What do you guy's and gals think?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

usually when the pump dies you cant get it restarted at all.
did you check for fluid cross...maybe head...loss of compression = loss of power?

no ses light is weird.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Oil still looks great, not milky or anything.
It's got me stumped.

I have a 91 S10 and a few years back it did the same thing, turned out it was a bad fuel pump so I'm crossing my fingers.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I would not replace anything without checking everything. Guessing is expensive! Troubleshooting is cheap!

You need to know what your fuel pressure is before you replace the pump.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Fuel pump's on the way, if that doesn't do the trick I have a few buddies at a shop.
She'll run again.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Just so I understand correctly, instead of taking 10 minutes to check your fuel pressure to diagnose the pump, you have already assumed the pump is bad and are going to replace it. You hope thats the problem right?

So if that isnt the problem and you wasted hundreds of dollars and hours of time, you are then going to send the truck out to have your buddies fix it.

Please tell me I mis-read your post.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kristoph30
Just so I understand correctly, instead of taking 10 minutes to check your fuel pressure to diagnose the pump, you have already assumed the pump is bad and are going to replace it. You hope thats the problem right?

So if that isnt the problem and you wasted hundreds of dollars and hours of time, you are then going to send the truck out to have your buddies fix it.

nope you read it right you arent going senile

Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Gio - I read it three times thinking i missed something!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by kristoph30

The pump has gotten louder and fuel gauge has been inoperable for about 2 months now, I know it on it's way out anyway. With it down now it's a great time to fix that issue.

Since it doesn't have a SES light on and it won't crank up, a fuel pressure test is all I can really do. I already bought the pump so what's the point.

If that doesn't fix it, I have access to a shop where I can do a motor swap. I am not gonna randomly change parts.

The Blazer is not needed really, I have a company truck that I drive home, a 93 S10 and a 2003 Oldsmobile in the yard.

I appreciate you're concern, but I've tinkered on vehicles before and in fact built this one myself about 2 years ago.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM

So why not do the fuel pressure check?
Im sure there are many other cheaper/easier things you can do besides swap the entire motor.

If youre doing this to kill time because you enjoy it then fine. no problem. Ive done the same thing. Ive been swinging wrenches for a long time. I dont mind work, I just hate to waste time and money.

To each his own.
Have fun.

Quick Reply: She just died!