2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ac Orifice tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
spittybays
Default Ac Orifice tube

Hi, getting all my stuff together to get a dead ac running. Does anyone know if I need the orifice removal tool to get the tube out or will needle nose do.

Have never done one.

Thanks Jeff.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Lanny is on a distinguished road

just did my drier and tube last week....i used long needle nose to get it out

Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
spittybays

Thanks Lanny.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Cheers bro

Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Might want to consider replacing the FOT, (Fixed Orifice Tube) with a VOV, (Variable Orifice Valve). Waaaay better cooling performance. It takes the place of the orifice tube ~$20 http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/VOV2.php

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Where can these be purcahsed? I havent re filled my 134 yet so i wouldnt be out much but labor time!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM
spittybays

NAPA AUTO PARTS

OK think I'm sold. After a good hour of reading. For me difficult to digest ac tech stuff it sounds to me better low speed cooling. Am I correct?

A full 80% of my driving is 45 or under. The down side seems to come from the guys who would still like to be using points and condensers.

So Chuck is this what I'm looking for?

Lanny, would you happen to know what the refrigerant capacity of our system is?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Jeff, Yes, that is the correct NAPA part. There are two of them available: that one, and another one for even higher ambients. Unless you're in the desert SW, (Arizona, New Mexico, etc), that one should be fine. And yes it produces substantially colder air, mainly at low vehicle speed operation. If you decide to install one, make sure you replace the O ring, (must be AC rated) at the liquid line connection, and use refrigerant oil to lube it before reconnecting the line.

I installed one on both of my Blazers, (98 and 04), along with one of these: Buy Imperial Fan Clutch - Severe Duty 215158 at Advance Auto Parts=

Another way to keep things running cooler is to totally eliminate the transmission cooler in the radiator and install one of these in front of the condenser: Buy Imperial Maxi-KoolŽ XL Transmission Oil Cooler 243012 at Advance Auto Parts= It fits in there perfectly, just have to remove the grille for access and fabricate 4 brackets out of flat stock steel. Couple hour job maximum. At operating temperature, transmission fluid does not exceed 60F above ambient. It also increases the radiator cooling capacity by keeping hot trans fluid out of the radiator.

From the information I have available for your 1995 Blazer, refrigerant capacity is 32.0 ounces, best to check the sticker though, if it's still there

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-05-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
spittybays

Thank you, thank you.
I was at Napa today, in there virtual computer world they had two but in the real world they had none.
Ordered the less then 105F, will be in AM.

As an aside, I was speaking with the dock refrigeration guy, asked me if shrader on the low side was bent. He said when people lock down the 134a connector they use too much force bend them and they leak. Went home and pulled the valve from the old drier, sure enough it was bent.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Sorry about my tardy responce, #2oz sounds about right, I bought 2 20oz cans so Im thinking Ill be good....

Spitty, my drier only cost me $30 at advance

Quick Reply: Ac Orifice tube