2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ack! codes, codes, codes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry ack! codes, codes, codes!

hi all, long time no chat.

had my 01 Blazer LS (4-door, 4x4) for a little over a year now. had some evap leak codes pop as soon as I got it from a shady dirtbag craiglist "dealer." had some MAF/O2 issues come up as well. eventually found that a rodent had been living in my air filter box, leaving seeds and other detritus behind. Cleaned that out, codes went away briefly, came back, but indicating O2 issues instead of evap or MAF.

Finally went in for an inspection, and Firestone is telling me "7 faults." Codes they've provided:

p0440
p0442
(these may not have been cleared since the intake mess)
p0418
p0410
p0452
p1154

Firestone doesn't want to deal with it, saying there already seem to be a lot of appropriate new parts for these issues, and telling me the dealership may do better.

Anyone have any insights here? I've spent too much on this d@mned thing as it is to spend too much more, if it's not going to last. At this point I'd rather plop <$5k on something else used than spend too much more on this Blazer.

I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but don't have a garage, and definitely no lift or hoist, these days. If this stuff is fixable with simple hand tools, I'm up for it. If not ...

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System
P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System
P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0452 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P1154 - HO2S Transition Time Ratio Bank 2 Sensor 1

I could not find a listing for P0418 other than what it stands for... P0418 Secondary Air Injection System Relay ‘A" Circuit Malfunction... This is the first I have ever seen someone having this code.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System
P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System
P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0452 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P1154 - HO2S Transition Time Ratio Bank 2 Sensor 1

I could not find a listing for P0418 other than what it stands for... P0418 Secondary Air Injection System Relay ‘A" Circuit Malfunction... This is the first I have ever seen someone having this code.
Right, the secondary air pump, which according to the guy on the phone, looks new-ish already. I think he mentioned the fuel filler neck being rotted out, but that may have been evap related and not air pump ...

So Kyle (IIRC, I hope!) what should I do here? Does clearing codes with a handheld scanner truly "clear" them or could I have some leftover codes in there from the rodent-in-my-intake incident?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If they cleared the codes, they should not pop up as being active. Most hand held scanners will just reset the light, but not clear the history. I would have to see what the display actually read on their scanner to tell you which were active and which were history codes.

From the looks of it, you have three separate problems. (1) AIR system, (2) EVAP system, & (3) B2S1 transition time. You could read through the code listings and see if there is anything electrical or otherwise that ties these codes together.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If they cleared the codes, they should not pop up as being active. Most hand held scanners will just reset the light, but not clear the history. I would have to see what the display actually read on their scanner to tell you which were active and which were history codes.

From the looks of it, you have three separate problems. (1) AIR system, (2) EVAP system, & (3) B2S1 transition time. You could read through the code listings and see if there is anything electrical or otherwise that ties these codes together.
I'd cleared the codes previously with the freebie hand scanner at Advanced Auto. Firestone just told me everything is showing as a hard fault however. They seem to feel that the codes are all active hard faults.

I paid $3300 for this thing. I've put $800-$1000 in work into it, along with $600+ in tires/balancing. ABS controller is shot. Is it worth my time or money to investigate this further?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Whether it is worth your time is solely up to you. The ABS controller can likely be refurbished by ModuleMaster.com (check them out, they are relatively economical) if that really is the source of your ABS problems. Having no description of the ABS issues you are experiencing, I cannot determine how best to start the diagnosis, but have a look at the Tech Article (DIY) Index for some ideas.

The other codes should be relatively easy and inexpensive things to repair once you find the source of the problem.

There is a lot of information floating around the forum about the EVAP and AIR codes and the common causes for them so a little bit of searching and reading should help there.

I would want to see some freeze frame data as well as live scan data on the O2 sensor to determine the cause of that code. Typically, a transition time code would lead one to believe that the sensor is getting lazy. One check that you could perform here is to swap the upstream sensors side to side. If the code changes from P1154 to P1134, then you know the sensor is at fault.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Starting Member

Having been slammed with work, and not having needed to drive much, I haven't looked into this too much further, but I'm curious: I've put some 80-90 miles on since the codes were cleared at the shop. No check engine light ... yet ... any chance all tests have run and it might pass?

Also, the rear bumper is torn up from some stupid offroading I did ... the driver's side has exposed that box (charcoal filter?) and several cables/plugs ... I wonder if when it gets wet, something is getting mucked up there? Except for the day I picked it up (light snow/slush on ground) from the shop, it's been pretty dry here for a week and a half ...

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

PO442 Evaporative Emissions (small leak)
This is what I have. I pulled the spare down, disassembled and cleaned the Purge valve that's there. With 12V I can see the solenoid working. Still get the code after Clearing it and filling tank.
Has anyone gotten this code from a rusty (leaking) fill tube? My Filler is rusty but does not appear t be leaking...no smell, no wetness. but just not sure where else to go to fix this Code.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member
SlipAngle is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues with P0418 as well.

Since it does not affect driveability and is the only code my truck was throwing, I put it off until emissions time. Now I'm unable to resolve it and can't get my tag renewed

I've replaced the relay, checked the fuse, and confirmed that the pump is both getting power and spinning freely. If I clear the code, the vehicle will run fine, but always throws the code again at the next startup.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-35146/

Any ideas? I'd hate to have to get ride of the truck over something so simple...

found this troubleshooting guide:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8710.php

Last edited by SlipAngle; 04-15-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Is the air pump solenoid being activated properly? Can you activate it manually while the air pump is on and have the valve open, pushing fresh air into the exhaust system?

Quick Reply: ack! codes, codes, codes!