2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Adding 12V power outlet to rear for air compreesor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
jeffintoronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding 12V power outlet to rear for air compreesor

Has anyone added a 12V cigarette lighter style outlet to the rear of a Blazer (2002 in my case)?
If so, where did you fish the wires through, how/where did you hook up to fusebox, and where did you ground it?

I've bought an outlet with a 17' lead so I can put a plug at the back. The reason is that I want to run an air compressor off of it to top up tires on my boat trailer. The compressor I have barely reaches the rear truck wheels from the 12v cig plugs at the console; nevermind anywhere near the trailer wheels.

Last edited by jeffintoronto; 12-16-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

**EDIT** skip to the bottom for your original question. what i wrote covers a traditional plug in AC powered mini compressor, not the cig lighter plug style

Get a power inverter. check how many watts your compressor draws, then get on accordingly. remember they have a rating and a peak rating. you want the bottom number (rating) to be at least a bit over your compressor's draw (say 500 watt inverter for a 250 watt draw kind of thing).

You wire this thing up just like an amp. un hook neg terminal, mount the inverter where you want it (say on the trim panel above the passenger side rear wheel hump) run the wires behind the trim panels and through the fire wall out to the battery. hook em up put it all otgether and you're good.

make sure you have a couple spare fuses on hand to fit the inverter.

here is a cheap one for reference only they make these things pretty sophisticated now. heavy duty, high power, power over draw fail safes, alarms if it's drinking more than the battery can safely sustain etc.

We use these to make our tvs and xboxs/ps3's run in the recruiter trucks. i have one that i can wire to my battery's quick connects in a pinch as needed.

hope that helps

**EDIT** damn! i didn't know you were trying to go with a cig lighter style. get the plug, run the wires down the drivers side and wire it through one of the accessory slots on your fuse box. search wiring in a cb to see where and how.

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-16-2009 at 12:00 PM.