2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Adding Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding Keyless Entry

I've read that one can (assuming you already have the power locks) pretty much just plug in the RKE module, have it programmed by a dealer, and buy a couple of fobs.

* As an example, I found this:

http://tinyurl.com/e3qog

Is it really that straightforward ?

* Then, I ran across this:

http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm100034.htm

Can it really be done that inexpensively ?

Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Adding Keyless Entry

I'd check with a local junk yard for an RKE. Then either get the FOBs from a yard or from online somewhere.

So long as you have the wiring, yeah, it should just be a plug-n-play, but may require programming of the BCM (depending on year/options/etc).

And no need to go to the dealership for programming of the fobs. You can do it in your driveway.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Also, on my '00 the RKE module is located on the left instrument panel (IP) sound insulator right behind the data link connector (DLC).

Old 01-15-2006, 09:47 PM
skiescape2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the RKE the same as the remote control door lock receiver in your diagram? If so, all I have to dois plug it in and program it?? I found this off of ebay, is this the RKE? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-15-2006, 09:50 PM
skiescape2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, does the code from the RKE have to match the code on the remote?

Old 01-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

So long as you have the wiring, yeah, it should just be a plug-n-play, but may require programming of the BCM (depending on year/options/etc).
Yes, it is supposed to plug right in to a connector located next to the parking brake on the lower hush panel (?).

What was mentioned was that if you plugged in an OEM module, you had to then go to the dealer and have them reprogram the vehicle computer (the BCM ?) to activate the option.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Yes, that is correct. It all depends on what year you have (99+ have BCMs, but I don't know about the 98's) and what options it came with originally. Some can get away with just plugging in the RKE module. And yes, I was talking about the fobs/

Old 01-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member
tdannar is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you insert the module, how do you program the FOB's?

Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote from Keyless Entry FOB

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Ha, well, found it right in front of me... From my AllDataDIY.com account:

Programming Transmitters

IMPORTANT: Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable
even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the
system. On 2000 SIT pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number.

1. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the
following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode:

6.1. Locking the doors
6.2. Unlocking the doors

IMPORTANT: All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the
old transmitters will be deactivated.

7. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will
respond in the following manner:

7.1. Locking the doors.
7.2. Unlocking the doors.

8. Repeat step 7 for each additional transmitter.
9. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.
10. In order to reprogram the remote control door lock transmitter with a scan tool, refer to Scan Tool Instructions .

Memory Seat Recall Programming

1. Adjust the driver seat to the desired position.
2. Press the switch labeled SET. A chime confirmation will be heard.
3. Press the desired position switch labeled 1 or 2. Within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch, a chime
confirmation will be heard.
4. Press the UNLOCK button on the desired transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch.
A chime confirmation will be heard.

o The transmitter (key fob) is now programmed with the desired position switch. Pressing the transmitter
UNLOCK button will cause a recall request to be initiated and the seat will adjust to position 1 or 2.
o The stored memory positions may be changed without having to reprogram the transmitter.
o The transmitter feature is available in all ignition positions.

Memory Seat Recall Unprogramming

1. Press the switch labeled SET. A chime confirmation will be heard.
2. Press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter (key fob) within 5 seconds from pressing the SET switch.
3. Do not press any memory switch or power adjustment for 5 seconds . Pressing a switch will cancel the
unprogramming event and the transmitter will remain programmed.

o The transmitter (key fob) is now unprogrammed and pressing the UNLOCK button will not effect memory
seat operation.
o No chime confirmation will be heard when the UNLOCK button is pressed if the transmitter is
unprogrammed.
*EDIT* once again, cleaning up an odd formatting problem with this old post...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Amopower is an unknown quantity at this point

So what should one buy first - the receiver or the keyfob? and then use that number to buy thecorrespondingreciever or FOB? I have tha AU3 code, so my 98 Blazer doesn't have keyless from the factory, I would have to add it.
not sure if I need this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320028415560
or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320023169502

I can barely make out the FCC ID on those either, so I guess I would have to wait till I have them in order to look for a keyfob.