2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

After $2K in dealer repair, more problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 PM
IL_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After $2K in dealer repair, more problems

I have a 2000 LT (4x4) with about 75,000 miles on it. We bought it new and it has had a few of the "typical" gremlins that I've read about on this site. The latest was in early winter. When driving home and going about 30 mph, I suddenly felt some clunking in the front left wheel area. I thought I had a flat. I pulled over and inspected, and everything looked OK. I was kind of scared to drive any further on it, but I made it home. The clunking didn't repeat itself that often, only once in a while, usually after a sharp banking turn. I took the car to my local Chevy dealer and they recommended a new idler arm and found that I had a leak from my intake gasket. They also said my ball joints were much worn and that I needed both uppers and lowers replaced. The damage was just under $2000 and took a few days to complete.

I picked up my Blazer and upon driving home, it just didn't feel right. I still got the occasional clunk, although much lighter sounding / feeling than before. What really felt different was how much I could feel the road through my gas pedal and my left foot resting on the floor. The car seemed louder from road noise, especially at 30 mph and above 50 mph. It wasn't engine noise, it was the road. The extra cabin noise made me feel like I was in a Cessna. I swear, the car rode worse than before I had the work done. There wasn't a grinding or rubbing sound, it just felt "different". For a while I thought that maybe it was me. I drove my new VW Passat the few days that the Blazer was in the shop, and when I picked it up the car, the temps were really cold (teens). I thought maybe it was cold tires and me being overly sensitive (re: skeptical of their work).

So now I'm going to take the car back to the dealer. In the last few days, I have been hearing a squeak / high-pitched grind that seems to be coming from the front left wheel area when I break. Also, when I come to a complete stop (like at a stop light / sign) and then drive forward, there is a "ping" that comes from the rear of the Blazer. It sounds like as if you flicked your finger on the middle of a pie tin. WTF?

I spoke with the service manager at the Chevy dealer and he said he'd get to the bottom of it. I'm going to have a tech go with for a drive and I'll try and point out what is bothering me. Scared to dump more dough into this vehicle after just having spent $2K a week ago.

In need of a hug! LOL.

Eric

Past issues with the vehicle:

> Blinker sound stuck on behind glove box. Dealer had to go into the steering column to get to some sort of switch and replace it. Luckily, I know the owner of that particular dealership, so he did it for free. (fixed)

> Gurgling / clicking sound coming from behind glove box when vehicle is cold and you first drive off. (not fixed)

> Fuel guage doesn't work. It always says full, then drops to empty after about 120 miles. My wife and I guess the amount of fuel based on the trip odometer, which we re-set after every fillup. (not fixed)

> Sucks gas like a ****! (not fixed)

Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: After $2K in dealer repair, more problems

ORIGINAL: IL_Blazer

> Gurgling / clicking sound coming from behind glove box when vehicle is cold and you first drive off. (not fixed)
I would think that the gurgling is from lack of coolant/ influx of air in the coolant system. when your truck is cold, go out and start it and remove the rad cap. check the level,. if not low and you are still getting the gurgling sound, search on here for flushing the heator core. might just have some air trapped in the system.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

You could still need an alignment but if it's that much of a difference from before I would just take it back to them. I'm picking my 99 up from the tranny shop tomorrow ( full rebuild)and I can assure you if it aint't PERFECT I'm gonna take it back immediately.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuel gauge is worth getting fixed, your probably looking at 600$ though

Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

KL, that's one of the best avatars I've seen in a long time. Sweet!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you serious? My fuel gauge is all over the place and my mechanic said it was the sensor in the tank. He said it would be about 100-150 for the sensor, but how long does it take to drop a tank and replace it? I figured I spend around 200-250 total.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 PM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the Fuel Sending Unit.. Its a whole unit... you can't just replace the sensor.

That's the ACDELCO Fuel Sending Unit.. I would only go ACDELCO

***combining posts - hillbillyinohio***

Old 02-02-2007, 05:24 AM
skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

My gas gauge is non funtioning also... The $600.00 estimate is about what the dealers service shop told me it would cost...So,... I am still calculating fuel by the the trip-odometer for about the last 3 years.... Only ran out of gas once in that time.Ialso had symptoms of your front end problems with my 97 Blazer LT. I am pickingmine up from the dealers today.... Needed new CV axles both sides and transfer case amoung a few other incidentals...Hope you have an easier fix than I did... Good Luck!
skoot

Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

How much is a transfer case replacement at a GM dealer? Wow