2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

airbag issue after switching core support

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Starting Member
blam9ae is on a distinguished road
Default airbag issue after switching core support

hey guys,
been reading up on here about some issues and have found a ton of good info. one thing that ive seen a lot of is the airbag light staying on after start about 50% of startups... mine is doing this as well after recently switching out the core support with the two attached airbag triggers. i have made sure the connectors are clean and fully plugged in and the wires are not pinched, my question is could the light be coming on because the triggers are from another vehicle? one user stated that codes are stored in the system and if it sees the sensors from a different VIN it shows the light... any truth to this?

the poster said it could be as simple as getting the dealer to program the new parts to my VIN.... on a side note im trying to avoid the scan, the only place i found to do it wants $50 just to scan...

I do still have my old core with my old airbag triggers but theyre rivetted on. i could dremel them off but how would i reattach?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could have a defective sensor on the core support. Getting the airbag system scanned for codes with a compatible scan tool would tell you which one. Or you could swap your old sensors providing they were not damaged.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
blam9ae is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply... i was actually refering to one of your posts from like oct 09 about getting the parts programmed with the VIN lol... tomorrow i will pull my original core up in front and plug it in and cycle the starts a few times. if no light, i will definately switch out the sensors... i was thinking dremel cutting tool to get the rivets off but any advice on reattaching? the way it sits on the truck, it would be really rough to get a nut and bolt in there. are there any good places to get it tested for codes free/super cheap? autozone said they cant check for those codes... thanks for all your help, been running into your posts quite a bit during my rebuild!