2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airbag light goes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airbag light goes on and off

I was wondering if anybody had this problem, I have a 2003 Blazer and my airbag light goes on and off. It does not stay on for long. I seen have notice that it happens when going down hill or after I have gone down a hill.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll need to retrieve the DTC's on a scan tool capable of accessing body codes. Post them here and we can help you diagnose it.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

mine does the same thing...when i hit a bump it goes on ...hit a bump it goes off.
i have never scanned it....i cleaned all the connections at one point and that helped for awhile then it came back several months later...

Old 09-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Starting Member

Ok, Last week I went to Auto Zone, and they didn't find anything. I think they told me that they cannot retrieve those codes. It just goes on and off, no bumps needed to make it happen. Beginning yesterday, it started staying on more. The other thing, I didn't say, is my radiator is leaking, which I am planning on replacing this week. Do you think the leaking coolant is causing it? Where and how do you clean the contacts?

Old 09-09-2012, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i would doubt coolant would be connected to your airbag issue.
to clean them you should use electronics cleaner and have the battery disconnected for sure...i think its common to wait 10-15 min after power has been disconnected to be certain.
the impact sensors are behind the grille. the connections in the cab are behind the dash. they are marked by yellow connectors.
i think you need to go to the dealer to get the codes for those.

search around for the proper locations...i just tried to give you a general idea.
if you not careful the system might fire the airbags if you do it wrong.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kmartin
Ok, Last week I went to Auto Zone, and they didn't find anything. I think they told me that they cannot retrieve those codes.
They didn't find anything because their scan tool does not access body codes. See post #2.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Starting Member

All right, had my vehicle to the garage today to replace the radiator. Because over the weekend I had my airbag light on more, I told them to check that out. If it was going to be a cheap fix, I would of left them do fix it, but when they told me $337 for the part, I declined. I got the code from them however, it is B0036.

There explaination-Auxilary discrimenatory sensor open/ missing, short to battery.

It seems to explain why this week end it was on more as I was driving through rain. I am pretty handy with some stuff, and like to try to keep cost of vehicle ownership down do things my self if I can.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Does it run bad? probably not. Does it bother you? I would say yes or you wouldn't be here. Mine does the same thing, don't worry about it...It's not hurting anything.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Starting Member

In other words, is there no real threat the airbags could deploy. No it does not run bad, which I don't think airbags have anything do to your vehicle performance.

Quick Reply: Airbag light goes on and off