2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airbag light goes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kmartin
In other words, is there no real threat the airbags could deploy. No it does not run bad, which I don't think airbags have anything do to your vehicle performance.
They will not deploy on there own and they will still work in case of a collision but that light coming and going does get annoying.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Putting up with that light might be the cheaper option.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Spree
They will not deploy on there own and they will still work in case of a collision...
If the air bag light is on, the air bag system is deactivated. In the event of a collision, the bags WILL NOT deploy.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If the air bag light is on, the air bag system is deactivated. In the event of a collision, the bags WILL NOT deploy.
Sorry I don't get on here much but...I would have to disagree with you my friend. Me and a buddy sent a blazer to the jy a few years ago and the air bag light was on 100% of the time. We set it off on purpose before it went just to see if it would still work and it blew like a champ. We did this because curiosity got the best of us and...we just had to know.
Now you may be asking yourself (how did you set it off on purpose)?
This is how it went, (kids don't try this at home).
We armed our selves with crash helmets and plenty of padding.
We then proceeded to run said blazer into a tree at or about 30 mph as we didn't want to kill our selves if they didn't work.
Both bags blew just like they were suppose to.
Sure we could have sold it for probably $500 or so but it was an experiment and we didn't need the money so we thought we would trash it 1st and send it on it's way to blazer heaven.
And no I will not do that again. Going from 30 to 0 in a second is not fun. Our brains rattled for the rest of the day, but the tree survived.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Starting Member

I was online today thinking about my intermittant airbag light. Right now, when I start it, it flashes a few times and stays off, but it comes on intermittantly occasionally. Last year I had a code read and it was B0036. The garage would replace the left side crash sensor which I declined. Would that likely be the fix or could something else throw that code? I found this:New OEM Left Airbag Sensor 16240665 Chevy Trailblazer

Would this be ok to use? Would letting problem go this long cause damage else where?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

DTC's never instruct you to replace a part. The DTC indicates what circuit had or has a malfunction. Each DTC has a certain diagnostic flow chart that must be followed to locate the problem. B0036 indicates there could be a short to battery voltage or ground, or an open circuit. Without following the flow chart, replacing the sensor would only be a guess.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I got the same thing going on with my 05

It started just after what felt like a spring letting go in the back of the drivers seat
I had looked at a wiring diagram and I think there is a sensor in the seat back
I have a pair of replacement seast from an Integra
I plan on looking inside the seat back if I ever get around to swapping them out

Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
DTC's never instruct you to replace a part. The DTC indicates what circuit had or has a malfunction. Each DTC has a certain diagnostic flow chart that must be followed to locate the problem. B0036 indicates there could be a short to battery voltage or ground, or an open circuit. Without following the flow chart, replacing the sensor would only be a guess.
OK, the question is do you think the garage(the professionals) would of followed the flow chart to determine that the left front crash sensor need replace? Where can you find flow charts?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 PM

Only the garage knows if they followed the flow chart. The "official" and most reliable flow chart is in the GM factory shop manual. I suppose there might be some online, somewhere.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 PM
mrjim is on a distinguished road

I to have the airbag going on and off, got new scan tool today. code b0035. I'll take any help out there?

Quick Reply: Airbag light goes on and off