2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airbag light goes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Did anyone find an online flow chart to diagnose the airbags?

I know my public library has ALLDATA to use for free. Not sure if a diagnosis chart is part of ALLDATA but it is worth checking into it.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:36 PM
jrm000kc is on a distinguished road
Default Possible solution to airbag light

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but I have (had) the same problem with my airbag light going on and off after hitting bumps on my 98 LT. Yesterday I was replacing the front shocks and when I went to stick a wrench on the upper 18mm shock bolt I saw sparks coming from a wiring harness wrapped in silver heat tape, passenger front side. This harness is routed around the shock brace and over the years it rubbed through the insulation on the wire. I wrapped electrical tape around it, then happened to have some extra 3/4 radiator hose I had left over. I cut about an 8" length off, then split the hose to where I could slip it over the harness. I then zip-tied the hose to where it now had protection against rubbing on the rather sharp left side of the shock brace. I haven't had the airbag light come on since.
Great forum here, just registered today. I'm so in love with my 98 LT since it'll be my third S10 with the wonderful 4.3 Vortec. Replaced the front oil cooler lines a few weeks ago, and didn't think I needed the rear ones. Checked oil yesterday and noticed the rear oil cooler lines wet with oil. Of course I didn't have any puddles underneath! It only leaks when running! Duh! Of course I returned the rear oil lines a week ago, and now I'm going back to buy them again! Hopefully it isn't the pain in the rear it looks like it'll be if I take the LF tire off and get to the bolt from there. Do I really have to lift the motor to thread the new line through? Not looking forward to draining the oil either because it's a rule of nature that the wind will pick up as soon as I start draining anything...
I'll put up some pics of my lovely Olympic white Blazer. Whoever had it before me took care of it. I have the sunroof, heated leather/lumbar seats. So far have replaced the front oil cooler lines, repaired the overhead console with solder, had to replace the water pump, and need to fix the mirror adjustment switches. Also had to replace the front wiper-washer motor and fix the rear wiper washer that would shoot washer fluid out underneath the vinyl trim on the ceiling end-gate where someone clumsily tried splicing rubber hose on. I've also replaced the driver door bushings that made a loud whooshing noise on the highway because the door wouldn't seal right. It's my first 4x4-and of course we have a winter with no snow and I can't use it. She needs to TLC, but I'm slowly getting her in peak form. Can you believe a 98 with no body rust!?
Question: How hard is it to replace the radio/climate control lights?

Old 03-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

When the weather gets better, I'll have to check that one out. I never resolved my issue. Thanks! And Welcome to the forums!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 AM

Thanks and good luck with your Blazer.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Disregard what I said about that wiring harness that goes around the RF shock brace...my airbag light is still going on and off. I need to remove the power (battery) because I really should re-check that harness and try separating the individual wires so I can get them insulated with electrical tape. I'm not completely sure what that harness routes to. Is there anything I need to worry about before removing the battery? What about my keyless entry and alarm?

Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Starting Member

The only issue I see with battery removal and it's no biggie is that you might lose your radio station presets.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:39 PM
JayTalbott is on a distinguished road

I have a 2002 Blazer, and for the past few months my airbag light has been intermittently been turning on. Might stay on for a mile or two, then goes off again, and then comes back, and so on.

Took it to an independent shop today, and they pulled the codes which indicated a problem with the airbag sensors in the front bumper. Further checking all the wiring, and ultimately testing the sensors themselves indicated that the sensors were out of spec and needed replacement.

However, when they tried to get replacement sensors from a GM dealer, they found that those particular sensors (part # 16240655) are discontinued and are no longer available. So they got some aftermarket sensors that were supposed to fit, but didn't, so they are sending those back and just reconnecting the original sensors even though they are faulty.

So what do I do to get replacement airbag sensors?

- Jay

Old 10-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Starting Member
Old 10-05-2016, 08:39 PM

There is actually two different part numbers for the left and right sensors.

The left one is 16240665. That one I can find several at places online for $139.
The right one is 16240655. This is the one that seems to be totally unavailable.

However, they put it all back together with the original sensors for now, and now the light isn't coming on anymore. So I think I'm going to drive it for a while and see if the light comes back on, or if the sensors were actually OK, and it was just a loose connection or something that got corrected when they were trying to diagnose the problem.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 AM

Ok, so it's been a year, and the intermittent air bag light issue continues. I had another shop check it out and confirm that the problem is definitely the right sensor, part # 16240655, which is discontinued and seemingly not available anywhere on the planet.

So without the OEM part available, and nobody makes an aftermarket part that replaces it, how do I fix this?

Since this is a safety system, I can't believe I'm just left hanging with no solution...

Quick Reply: Airbag light goes on and off