2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition switch no lights in dashboard Blazer would start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member
poertsch is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition switch no lights in dashboard Blazer would start

Hallo to everybody. I was searching the Forum and was reading a couple of posts about replacing and problems about the ignition switch. But before i will start to replace it i want your experience about this problem:
First at all it was begin with the problem that my transmission was only runs in security mode. So first I was thinking that i have a transmission problem. But i was checking everything and the solution was that the main power to the solenoid valves was only 6Volts. I was checking the wire diagram and see that the main power will comes over the ignition switch. So i was making an bridge from a free fuse inside of the fusebox an the transmission was working again perfekt.
After a while i was see that my Blazer was stopping in time when i was driving the motor by him self and i had to stop and start him again that he will work's. But now i had this problem again and now ,no Lights in the dashboard will come on. Also i here no fuel pump in time when i will turn the key. He want to start and nothing happens. No lights inside of the dashboard come up and my Blazer stays out of work.
So I think that to 95 % the ignition switch is damaged. Is this true or can it be also an another problem. Because Transmission, Lights in Dashboard and Fuel pump will get the main power before motor will start from the key. So what you think REPLACE the ignition switch?

For all your experience it will help me out.

thanks poertsch from Germany

Last edited by poertsch; 01-03-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

From that description and assuming you checked all fuses, and the ground points under the dash.. yes, I think ignition switch is likely bad.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

I was also thinking about that, because in the main diagram i see that all necessary parts will get the Main-power from the ignition switch. I wrote that the Blazer was start and then after couple 1 Mile the dashboard lights come up and motor was stopped. So i have to stop put it on park and start it again. And than he was run but now he is in garage because he is only a summer driver and i was lucky that i drive him direct at home, when the last time the Blazer was stopping direct in the corner. It was taking me more than 20 times to get him start.
So i have to replace it. Is there an any description to replace it in point of my model 97 S10 that i can get an how do to do nothing wrong. Will help me out

thanks a lot

Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

there is a way to check the ignition switch thanks to our fellow administrator swartlkk

Anatomy of the Ignition Switch - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member

Wow thats great will get me many information.

Thanks a lot and Forum is very very fast with answers Great job guys

Is there any step by step instructions to replace the switch. That i know what i have to remove that i can replace the switch. TThiw ill help me that nothing goes wrong in time of the replacing

Thanks poertsch from Germany

Last edited by poertsch; 01-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.