2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

All doors lock/All doors unlock with drivers side key entry

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member
celchlepp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All doors lock/All doors unlock with drivers side key entry

Hey all, I gotta question about how the key should work for locking/unlocking doors in my wife's blazer. it is an '03 S10 model 4dr blazer and she said she remembers using the key in the drivers door lock to unlock ALL the doors (including rear hatch window from here on). I spent a while yesterday following the directions explicitly in the manual (p. 2-7 to 2-9) to try to achieve the option of "All doors lock/All doors unlock," which I thought would be accomplished following these instructions right from the manual:

1. To enter the program mode, do the following: Begin with the ignition in OFF. Then pull the turn signal/multifunction lever all the way toward you and hold it while you perform the next step.

2. Turn your key to RUN and OFF twice. Then, with the key in OFF, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once you do this, you will hear the lock switch lock and unlock.

3. You are now ready to program the automatic door locks. Select one of the previous four programming options and follow the instructions. You will have 30 seconds to begin programming. If you exceed the 30 second limit, the locks will automatically lock and unlock to indicate you have left the program mode. If this occurs, repeat the procedure beginning with Step 1. You can exit the program mode any time by turning the ignition to RUN. The locks will automatically lock and unlock to indicate you are leaving the program mode. If the lock/unlock switches are not pressed while in the programming mode, the auto lock/unlock setting will not be modified.

FYI for my forum helpers: the “previous programming option” that she wants is the following, again, right from the manual: “All doors lock/All doors unlock: Press the lock side of the power door lock switch once, and then the unlock side twice.”

FINALLY, my question to you all: are the “programming options” that are listed in the manual intended to be controlled by the key from the outside when using it only in the drivers side door? She says this is the way it use to be but has since stopped working that way, and now the key only unlocks the drivers door from the outside. You have to open the drivers (or passenger door for that matter) and manually unlock the rest of the doors using the lock/unlock rocker switch on the control panel of the door.

Is this the way it is SUPPOSED to work, or should the key lock/unlock ALL the doors by turning the key in the drivers side door? Or am I completely off the mark in thinking that "Programmable Automatic Door Locks", where on page 2-8 it states: "If your vehicle has power door locks, it will be equipped with an auto lock/unlock feature which enables you to program your vehicle's power door locks."

I REALLY look forward to hearing the answer to this question from you all, and will really appreciate any helpful/educational input on this.
Thank you in advance a million times over for your help! Chuck
p.s. after following the instructions perfectly, and GETTING the indicating lock/unlock sounds just like the manual says will happen when programming correctly, the key still ONLY locks/unlocks the drivers door (or passenger door if you are on that side of course). To be absolutely clear here for my own understanding, are these "Programmable Automatic Door Locks" supposed to work with only the key from the outside? I know I have repeated myself here in this post, but mainly that is for me to be clear so I understand any answer that is posted in reply.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: All doors lock/All doors unlock with drivers side key entry

These instructions are for the 'rolling lock' feature as described in the first couple of lines on the top-left of page 2-9. This option is for locking of the doors when you shift out of park on an automatic vehicle or speeds above 15mph in a manual trans vehicle. There is no option to unlock/lock all doors with the key in the door.