2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

alternator, fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Starting Member
blkblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default alternator, fuel pump

Blazer no start.Cannot here the fuel pump come on when key is on, used to be able to hear it. It is quite loud.

I was useing a 2amp trickle charge on the battery with positive wire still connected on the battery, negative cable disconected. So in the morning I took off charger hooked up negative cable turned key on and the fuel pump turned on and vehicle started.

It has done this twice. a few hours later it will not start again and fuel pump does not turn on.

Can anybody tell me why the above would happen.

I put in new battery the old battery was just about done. I think I will need new alternator

looking at high out put alternator 140 amp.

Any way vehicle wiill not start with new battery.

Thanks foe help.

1999 S10 Blazer 4.3L V6 LS 2door auto 4x4.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you say that it will not start, will it still turn over or is the entire vehicle dead? If it is dead, then you have a rather serious drain on the battery and a new alternator will likely not cure the problem. A quick electrical system test at your favorite autoparts store will tell you if you have a good alternator.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Starting Member
blkblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE alternator

Excuse my typing.

No it will turn over, way faster now that the new battery is in. Can tell the old battery was defective the cold kills it it will take a charge but not 100%.The alternator is likely going to. Heavy stereo use, lots of stop and go driving, with the old battery turning on the rear defog sucked a lot of power at idle.

No security light, blinking or on steady.

I thought there might be a reason the fuel pump would startup and the vehicle would start after charging the battery with the positve cable connected to the battery during charge and then after a couple of hours sitting the fuel pump will not start up. Engine justs cranks.

I guess I am going to have to go with new fuel pump.

thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Run through the appropriate test procedures first though. You would hate to find that it was just a weak relay that required more juice to close the circuit after changing out the fuel pump and having the same problem.