2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Annoying miss at idle / new crate motor '98

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member
CB160 is on a distinguished road
Default Annoying miss at idle / new crate motor '98

Hi All,
This now engine #3 since I bought this thing.....long story but apparently I don't know how to drive an automatic....
Anyway....
New Re-man. Chevy crate 4.3 engine, installed by pro...with new almost everything..and new F/I (think they ordered the 'factory stock #'s)
Runs fine except for an annoying uneven 'miss' at idle.....
Only 900 miles on the engine install....
Brought it home/broke it in (kinda poorly) on the drive home - 500 miles of freeway...varied speeds as much as possible.....(engine installed far away from home)
"Check Engine" light was on when I got home (checked all the usuals and nothing to worry about) , so I picked up a 'doo-hicky' and the code was for the rear cat.sensor...cleared code and it hasn't returned...may have been water in a connector (all was assembled up in the snow country)
Anyone have a clue? Or a list of 'where to look' first? I'm about done payin' the 'so called pros' to work on this thing....time to get my hands dirty
TIA,
GT

Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What was the specific code?

You could try switching the post-cat sensor with one of the pre-cat sensors to see if the code follows the sensor.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 AM
Beginning Member
CB160 is on a distinguished road

Hi Swartlkk,
I'm hopin' that the rear cat sensor wouldn't have anything to do with the'
idle mis-fire....can't think of why they would be connected in any way...
don't remember the exact code but that's what my book said (with my new $300. thingie !!!) Geez, what ever happened to setting your points with a business card and getting down the road?? lol
I'm guessing its a spark plug wire short or something (although they were supposedly replaced..) It's entirely random, and only is noticable at idle...
nothing 'exciting' enough to throw a 'check engine' light, but if it stops raining, I'll stick the meter back on it and see if there are any new codes, just for giggles.....
Have I mentioned I hate cars! Motorcycles are so much easier.....
Drive safe!