2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Anti-Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 04:48 PM
tomsblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anti-Freeze

I need to flush and refill my radiator with new coolant/anti-freeze. Is the Prestone stuff actually compatible with the Dex-Cool that may remain in the system? I also did not see the radiator drain plug when looking at the radiator, which side is it on?

I am a former Ford driver and this Chevy thing is taking me a while to catch on.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Anti-Freeze

Yes, fully compatible with Dex-Cool. If you are doing a complete flush and fill, you could switch over to the green stuff, its all up to you.

I haven't gone hunting for the drain, but in my experiences, all of my GM vehicles have had them on the drivers side. The newer ones have about a 1" diameter 1/4 turn valve that is almost flush with the side of the tank. It'll open up a passage that will drain out the bottom of the tank.

Good Luck.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:27 PM
tomsblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.

I found the drain plug on the passenger side way down at the bottom and under many hoses and fittings[:@]

Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. Sorry 'bout that. Good to know. I'll be draining my Bravada here next week. I'll flush it out and replace the stat at the same time. I'll be putting back in Prestone.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I never use the drain plug, I just pull of my radiator hoses at the thermostate and water pump.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Administrator

If you do use the drain, remember that on the 96+ (I believe), it is a 1/4 turn valve. If you continue to force it, the valve will come out and, speaking from experience here, it is a real B!tch to get back in! Especially if all you were doing was replacing the t-stat without wanting to drain the entire system! LOL

Old 12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I once took the valve out by mistake. Broke it trying to put it back together. Cheaper and easier to pull the rad hoses.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

But Messy'er... LOL

Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also two plugs on the crank case to drain the coolant from the engine. One plug on each side of the 4.3 vortec