2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Anti-Lock Brakes Kicking in at wrong time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:53 PM
MusicMaverick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anti-Lock Brakes Kicking in at wrong time!

I've been noticing that when coming to a stop, even ever so gently, the ABS kicks in when it really shouldn't be. When I asked a dealer about it, they said it could be the modulator, which is about a grand. I asked if it could just be the sensors. They said, possibly, but more likely the modulator. They won't know without looking at it. No light has come on regarding it. I've been told GM is notorious for having ABS failures. No recalls for my year however. If it is just the sensors, and they are dirty, is it as simple as wiping them off? How difficult is that? Are they hard to get to? Let me know.

Chris

Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Anti-Lock Brakes Kicking in at wrong time!

not sure about the blazers, but i have been doing a lot of the full size gm campaigns. all we do is pull out the front sensors, scrape off the rust on the mounting surface, prime it, grease it and re-assemble. what happens is rust build up between the sensor and knuckle widens the air gap giving false readings.
i cant believe they are just saying its the modulator without looking at it. sounds like a sketchy shop to me.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, definitely a sketchy shop right there. The thing about dealerships is that they all are very reluctant to speculate as to the source of problems. If they give you information about a problem that they might know the EXACT cause of, you may just go and fix it all on your own and they'll lose the business.

I would do exactly as zero has suggested and pull the sensors and clean up the mounting surfaces. Take a good look at the reluctor wheel that the sensor uses, making sure that all of the notches are clean.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 PM
MusicMaverick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so sick of mechanics. I can't find ONE non-shady place to take my truck. Well, I might do that. I just don't want to damage the sensors. I was told they can be very fragile.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Labinnac is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had this problem and my mother had the same problem on her blazer. What was happening was the front left wheel bearing went bad which caused the speed sensor to malfunction. I had a couple close calls with almost hitting things b/c it would not stop correctly. The brake pedal would shake when i would come to a complete stop at say a stop sign or a parking lot. In which case it would stop and I almost hit a few cars. The easiest way to tell if your bearing is bad is either look on the inside ov your tires for abnormal wear, or jack the truck up and see if you can wiggle the wheel at all. If thats not the case or if you cant get it fixed right away, you can take the fuse for the ABS out until you get it repaired. A new bearing assymbly cost me about 150, changing it out was bit of a pain though.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 AM
psyco1887 is an unknown quantity at this point

in the past year i have fallen head over heels in love with blazers ever since i got a 94 as a graduation present.
and i have looked online at many sites pertaining to the s-10 blazer.
and i hear the same thing on all the sites i have been on about the abs kicking in at the wrong time.
appatently it is like cancer among the early ninties blazers.
mine takes a while to stop too. however no-one has really posted anything that says how to repair the problem.
but what zero said seems to be a logical fix for the problem.
i plan to try it myself and post the results.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

If you can a scan done to see if it is throwing a code. I know my left front will be an open circuit/ bad wheel speed sensor. It grind s and howls when I drive it.? I found a receipt last night thgast this wheelbearing/hub was purchased 02/02/05. Not much like out of it.
I figure it was from fjording a flooded street last summer. These wheeel hubs an known to go. I thinkthe go for $369.00 at the stealership. The broken one on was made in Mexico and the replacement I now have in from China. The Chineses one was $50.00 more. It doesn't state why. I have replaced both bearings on all three owned Blazers once, going on twice for my current.

Have a shop use their Tech2 (a hand held device resembling an OBD scanner, that costs $5,000-$7,000.00.) Find out exaclty what is wrong and determine from there if you can do the work yourself.