2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM
bjarvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ideas what's causing this?

Problem just started today. When I put my '99 Blazer in reverse (automatic), the car won't move unless I give itgas - normally onceyou shift into reverse, the car will begin to move if the brake isn't applied. Also, when in drive if my speed is below 10mph or so andI turn the steering wheel enough to turn a corner the car will stop unless I give it more gas. Appreciate any insight.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Any ideas what's causing this?

you might be in 4hi and not know it. Otherwise something could be wrong with your 4x4 switch (ie. its telling you are in 2hi but really you are in 4hi) When I took out my 4x4 switch to replace the lights in it with LED's I started driving around and it automatically puts it in 4hi when no switch is connected (therefore if you have a bad switch that is giving the system no signal, then it might be the problem.

Otherwise you could have a problem with the cv joints, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, a stuck brake pad/parking brake clips, etc. We need some more info on the truck ie. auto 4x4 or regular push button 4x4, if there are any sounds when this happens, does it happen all the time, did you do anything to the truck right before this started occuring.

-Lenny

Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a fuel delivery problem (pump, injectors, clogged filter, etc).

Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overlook a hung up brake caliper...

Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

How'e the transmission fluid level and condition?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

dont wanna sound like a smartass, but is the e-brake released all the way?? had to ask, look at the simple things first..... sounds like a hung caliper..

Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM
bjarvis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks lenny - you hit the nail on the head. Just checked and the car was in 4hi. Apparently my father engaged it without realizing it. Gotta love parents when they get up there in age. Thanks alot.

Brian

Old 07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I thought it might be something free/cheap to fix like that. Those LED's marking what 4x4 position you are in arent that bright when you are looking at in the sun and you don't expect it to be in 4x4. Glad it was free to fix and that I was able to help.

-Lenny