2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

approx cost to replace oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
dax44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default approx cost to replace oil pump

Looking for an approx cost to have a mechanic replace the oil pump in a '00 Blazer auto 4x4 4.3l.

I've got a strong ticking noise that seems to come from the bottom and 3 mechanics have said it sounds like oil pump is going. The sound is completely gone after the engine is fully hot (15+ minutes) and for 10 days it completely was gone at all times, then came back again. Nothing was changed in engine. I know I will have to get a proper pressure check to be sure, but if it's super expensive, I may just want to unload the blazer. I've read 2 different versions, one is remove pan and replace, the other is pretty well remove everything before you can remove pan. I don't have the time or knowledge if it's the second method. I had oil change and no difference in noise at all.

I'm hoping just to get a guesstimate before getting quotes to know which mechanics are realistic.

Thanks for all replies.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: approx cost to replace oil pump

Oil Pan Replacement (4WD)
Removal Procedure
Disconnect the battery negative cable..
Remove the oil level indicator.
[ol]Remove the front differential assembly. Remove the starter.
Remove the transmission cover.
Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
Remove the remote oil filter pipe adapter.
Remove the bolt holding the remote oil filter inlet and outlet hose clip to the oil pan.
Remove the stud holding the bracket for the starter wire harness and if equipped, the transmission oil cooler pipes.
Remove the access plugs for the oil pan rear nuts.
Remove the transmission to oil pan bolts (automatic transmission shown).
Remove the oil pan from the engine.
Clean all sealing surfaces and the oil pan.
Remove the oil pump bolt
Remove the oil pump[/ol]
Depending on the shop rate ( if you have a shop do the job), my guess would be about 12 hours + parts

Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no transmission cover on a 2000... That and the oil pan is a structural member and really does require atleast a partial disassembly from the transmission to allow the oil pan to be removed.

Book time for this repair with A/C, Skid Plates, & Automatic Transmission is 7.0 hours. The price will really depend on the shop rates... If it's $70/hr, your looking at $490 for just the labor. The pump is cheap.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:33 AM
dax44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help guys. I'm getting quotes of 6 to 7 hrs, so I guess it was right. Yikes.

Doug