2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ASAP - HOW to replace oil sending sensor/unit????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 PM
wvpurplejimmygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Oil leak - NEED ANSWERS please help me

Well that sounds good to me, how can i find one of those? To look at it.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quickest way - go to an auto supply like AutoZone, O'Reilly, or Pep Boys and get a Haynes manual for your year vehicle.It will show (with photos) where the enigine parts are located and how to repair them.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 PM

thank you for your help

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

I have had someone to look at my truck and the most educated guess someone could tell me was the oil sending sensor needed to be replaced. How time consuming (on a 99 chevy blazer) andcostly is the part and labor ????? They didn't have an answer for me in regards to that. THANKS FOR ALL HELP

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHERE IT IS AND HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO REPLACE. I NEED THIS DONE ASAP. IT'S MY ONLY CAR. ANY PICS ANYONE HAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I HAVE ZERO OIL PRESSURE. NEED TO GET HOW-TO ON REPLACING IT.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's me again, Melinda. Did you get a Haynes manual like I suggested? This is the sending unit I talked about in our earlier posts. The unit should be at the top rear of your engine and you will probably have to remove the distributor to get at it. There is a precise procedure for removing and installing a distributor, so please get a manual. It's something I recommend for any car owner.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A manual is HIGHLY suggested. The removal of the sending unit isn't all that difficult once you get back to it, but it is well guarded and yes, the distributor does need to come out. If you are not comfortable with the removal and installation procedure for the distributor, then you probably will want a shop to replace it for you. Even some of us season'd guys get it wrong and end up retiming the motor from scratch! And that is NOT fun!!

Oh and my resources show approximately 1.3hours for replacement and a sending unit cost of ~$45.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM

I want to THANK everyone for their time and comments. I got my truck fixed, $170.00 later, but it had to be done. Oil sending unit plus oil pan gasket were the problems and it sure was apain in the butt.[:@][:@] So thanks again, I will be back with more problems I'm sure!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed. $170 doesn't sound too aweful bad for the repairs that were done.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
BF Guru

Congrats, Melinda, glad all is well now. Shoot, I'm kind of surprised at myself (pats himself on the back) that I was able to figure out from the info that it was the sending unit. Come back anytime for help and/or educated hunches.