2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On 1998, to override the DRL's, push the park brake to the first click before turning the ignition on. If you want to disable your DRL's and prolong the life of your high beam bulbs, it's very simple.... remove the black diode from the underhood fuse panel, (looks very similar to a fuse). Want 'em to work again?... plug it back in. The dome override switch does not affect DRL's or AHL's on 1998, only the courtesy lights.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by step66
Huh? I get the resistor suggestion,but I have stated here before JUST WHY would one want to dis-able the DRL's,a PROVEN safety factor! Unless you are doing something illeagal. Just my thought!

this is the 2nd time you said that what we were doing is illeagal one way or anthor
My answer is because that is what I want if I am correct you are also the one who also said it is required for you to have working drl
if you live in the us your wrong

by General Motors, seeking to have NHTSA mandate DRLs on all U.S. vehicles.[25] The GM petition was denied by NHTSA in 2009, on grounds of severe methodological and analytical flaws in the studies and data provided by GM as evidence for a safety benefit to DRLs.[25] In denying the petition, NHTSA said

the agency remains neutral with respect to a policy regarding the inclusion of DRLs in vehicles (…) we do not find data that provides a definitive safety benefit that justifies Federal regulation (…) manufacturers should continue to make individual decisions regarding DRLs in their vehicles

I rocked you a wiki and found that info here
Daytime running lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

I asked this question before and here is the answer

AHL and DRL How To's - S-10 Forum

Thank you again whoever gave it to me it worked great

you want the second part

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
bricooper78 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Esty
this is the 2nd time you said that what we were doing is illeagal one way or anthor
My answer is because that is what I want if I am correct you are also the one who also said it is required for you to have working drl
if you live in the us your wrong

i think the intent was that you would be wanting to engage in criminal activities, and you'd want to shut off DAYTIME running lights, so you could get away without being seen. in broad daylight... ya know, no headlights, they'd never be able to see ya.

I'd worry about that if you were wanting to be able to turn off auto headlights in the dark, but hey, it's his parade here, i shall not rain on it.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
On 1998, to override the DRL's, push the park brake to the first click before turning the ignition on. If you want to disable your DRL's and prolong the life of your high beam bulbs, it's very simple.... remove the black diode from the underhood fuse panel, (looks very similar to a fuse). Want 'em to work again?... plug it back in. The dome override switch does not affect DRL's or AHL's on 1998, only the courtesy lights.

Bingo, thats it, worked. Mine stayed on all the time need a new sensor on the dash

Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Starting Member
Chevyrider RevT is on a distinguished road

PROBLEM i hooked up the resistor and my auto headlights still work ????

Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Chevyrider RevT
PROBLEM i hooked up the resistor and my auto headlights still work ????
Did you read post #11? Pushing the park brake to the first click will disable the headlamps as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

And I ADDED automatic headlights and DRLs to my '91... I don't really get why anyone would want to disable them...I prefer to be seen when I'm on the road, too many arrested development mental midgets on the roads these days.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Starting Member
Chevyrider RevT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Did you read post #11? Pushing the park brake to the first click will disable the headlamps as well.
A. i tried thAT DOSENT WORK ON MINE
b. I WANT THE AUTO HEAD LIGHTS TO ALWAYS BE OFF I HATE AUTO HEADLIGHTS

Old 05-25-2019, 02:31 AM
Starting Member
Jon.stenson is on a distinguished road
Default Automatic headlights

Instead of a resistor I can I use a jumper wire?