2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

aux tape deck question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
KdogTN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default aux tape deck question

I have been online viewing this forum for over a month now and have found priceless information. I have tried to post several times but hit that issue everyone else was talking about... Now that I can post, I have a couple of questions.

First,
The tape deck in the truck. I honestly have no tapes to try it out but I am sure it works. I would like to have aux access for my ipod and sirius radio. Is there a way to use this to make that happen? What are the most common replacements for this accessory?

Second,
I have been able to change out 4 out of 6 spark plugs. Numbers 4 and 6 pose a problem with the steering shaft being in the way. How is this most commonly resolved?

Third,
I have a hesitation that occures when the motor is running... The engine starts on the first crank and I get 20 to 21 mpg on average. I have run the seafoam through the gas tank, as well as dumping a can in the crank case for a spell then changing the oil and sucking a can up through a vac line on the top of the motor. The plugs I were able to change out were pretty clean but showing a possible lean condition. Any ideas?

I know I threw down a three question post but I figured it would be better than three back to back... My background is very mechanical. I was a combo diesel/turbine mechanic as well as hydrolic systems. It's been a long time since I have delt with small motors hehe...

THanks for any suggestions that you can offer up to me..

Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: aux tape deck question

For your first question,just go to any decent wallmart/radio shack type store and buy one of thos cassette looking tapes that have a wire coming out of it.Just plug that 3.5mm jack into your mp3 player,insert cassette adaptor into AUXand start rocking.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Beginning Member
goldie is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a hesitation right after starting my 99 and went through everything with no results. Being an old timer , I went through all the usual first - seafoam, fuel pump & filter,plugs,etc. Finally I cleaned the MAF sensor -HESITATION GONE! I couldn't believe it.Big difference in engine performace all around. Try it. If thats not your problem it should be done anyway.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow is this topic title a bit messed up...

Anyway, if the steering shaft is in the way, then it is plugs #3 and #5. #5 should not be a problem if reaching through the wheel well. Have a look through the DIY section for ideas on how to get the #3 plug if you cannot get to it cleanly through the wheel well.

When does this hesitation occur? More details are necessary to properly diagnose the problem.

Cleaning the MAF, EGR (new gasket with integrated screen), and a good throttle body cleaning will not hurt anything (provided you do not damage the MAF sensor in the process). You should find the information on cleaning these items in the DIY section as well. I will likely re-create the MAF and EGR cleaning How-To's as they are clipped from the forum problems we experienced a few months ago. I recently pulled a MAF, EGR, TB and distributor from a 96 4.3L Astro van so I could redo these How-To's when I got some free time (LOL).