2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Auxiliary Switch/CB Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM
SJG89 is on a distinguished road
Default Auxiliary Switch/CB Mount

Ok so I have two things I could use a hand with. The first thing is, I'm in my local fire department and I'm planning to get a blue light permit. My plan is to wire all the blue lights to one master switch so that I don't have to waste time hitting ten switches when a call comes in. In the switch panel that my headlights are connected to, I have one open space for an auxiliary switch. I want to add a daystar switch, it looks to be about the right size. Can anyone confirm this or refer me to a better switch, maybe one thats meant for the blazer?

Now my other question. I have a CB radio, but there's really no good place to mount it. Since I'm never getting rid of the truck till it dies I had considered just drilling a pair of holes in to the tray where its sitting now and fastening the mounting brackets to it, but I want another opinion. Right now my radio is held in place by a more...creative method I guess.

Here's some reference pics for both questions:
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rt%20and%20CB/

Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member
CodFos is an unknown quantity at this point

For the lights, your going to need more than just a switch and lights. You need something to give you a flash pattern, unless you are using rotators or something like that. Think about cop cars and what not they dont just have one switch to control everything. Companies do make systems where you have to do is throw the switch over. Another reason there are like 500 switches on these is to control take down/alley lights and traffic advisers. Like I said before you need different things for different kinds of lights.

As for the CB mount, what about mounting it in that CD holder right under your radio, if it fits well. It would be a good spot and you wouldn't have to worry about drinks and what not getting all over it when driving to the station on an otherwise perfect road.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM

All the blue lights come with control boxes to change the strobe settings, and the all connect directly in to the boxes. The power is fed through the boxes. I'd like to wire the main power cables from the boxes to a master switch so that I don't have to hit the switch on all three boxes before I go. That way I flip one switch and then I can adjust the strobe patterns as needed as I go.

As for the CB, it looks like it might be too tall to fit in the cd tray space, but I'm gonna toy around with that idea a bit.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

What about running all of your lights into the same box? Who is the manufacturer, i.e. code3 whelen...? On one of the trucks for our Search and Rescue team, we have one box for the entire set up, where we just throw one switch that has three different positions. 0 is off, 1 is just the back strobes, 2 is the light bar, back, and grill lights. But then again we have GMC 15 passenger van with very basic lighting where we just have a three position rocker switch mounted in our center console.

In my old '97 i considered putting a Kenwood VHF in that CD holder spot, but then a tree decided it would rather fall on it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM

The lights are multiple brands. I'm planning to get a couple off of ebay, just cheep little ones for now, no brand name. And then I'm getting a light-bar for on my dashboard, it's a Crossfire.

Here's the Ebay Lights:
Blue Lights 1

Here's the Crossfire:
Blue Lights 2

And here's the switch if it helps at all:
Switch 1

Although now I'm thinking of getting a switch panel because I'm joining EMS and need to get green lights as well.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Beginning Member

Interesting, I like the look of the crossfire, how ever the lights from eBay I'd be a little skeptical about. If I were you I would save up the money and get something a little more professional and better quality. Some states have been having problems with people putting cheap lights in cars and posing as cops and that's one thing that tips real cops is how legitimate it looks. I would also get something that is all one system with one power source and the same wiring harnesses, color codes, and patterns. I know all of that is pretty expensive but if its something you will be doing for a long period of time, I would do it right the first time. Are you thinking about a siren? If so, that's one more thing you would have to rig up, and if you buy everything from the same place then it will be that much easier.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Beginning Member

Also these set ups are made so you don't have to flip a billion switches to run the lights and sirens. Its one switch for the lights and usually a *** for the siren with different settings depending on your siren. Most of these you can control so your lights do their thing when you turn them on and the siren can cycle through the different modes like wail, yelp, pierce and other tones.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM
southpaw is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Cod. I was in EMS for 6 years and now work for a Sherriff's Office and you'll do much better with a system that is all in one. It will save you a whole lot of headache. As for the radio, you could try mounting it hanging from the bottom of your dash above where it currently sets.