2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

B&M ShiftPlus - *Review*

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Cool man. I dont have a 4l60,but if i every get something with it,which im sure i will. Il make sure to try this out.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up B&M ShiftPlus - *Review*

Just wanted to right a short review on my experience with this device, in case anyone was thinking about buying it. I'll rate each category 1-10 and give a little explination on each one.

Price - 10
For the price, you can't beat this mod. It does something (which will be explained in another category) and I feel it does plenty for the mere cost if $32!

Install - 8
It's a pretty easy install, the directions sent with the unit were dead on! The hardest part is drilling the hole in the firewall and running the wires. Other than that, its a positive wire and neg wire that splices into a plug on your PCM. Mount the switch (I mounted mine in my glovebox) and it's done!

Parts Quality - 6
The switch it's self seems pretty sturdy but the "velcro attachment" seems cheap to me. Also, the connection wires seem like they're too thin. Again, cheap.

Overall - 8
Reason for the high final rating is because this thing actually DOES do something, regardless of what you hear or have heard. I immediatly felt a difference in my shift when in the "2" position on the switch. The shift is MUCH smoother, almost feels like a different vehicle. I can see how this would prolong the life of a tranny. It even took away (from what I've felt so far) the notorious, hard 1-2 shift! When floored and redlining through gears, it's as I'm driving a Cadillac on 35's! The down shift feels smoother as well. I remember driving a 2005 Ford Explorer (when they first came out) and it reminds me of that cruise (which tripped me out at the time)! Now, when this thing is in the "1" position on the switch... don't expect much. You CAN tell a difference, but hardly... I think I may just use the 1 position for everyday driving and then click to 2 when ******* her out. Overall, I'm satisfied for the price paid and the results given. Highly recommended.

There is one BAD con that I can think of and that is there is NO LIGHT on the switch, to tell you if the damn thing is even on!!! What is that? I'm going to install an exterior light (or two) in my dash somewhere that tells me weither this thing is in 1-2-or off. IMMEDIATLY! That's just bad engineering or something, but than again.... look at the price!

All in all, this thing works... get it if you want a little help in this area for cheap.

B&M 70380 B&M ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

for 1998+ you have to turn off engine before changing settings... kind of a downside to it... and if you're electronic savy here's whats inside it...
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...65854&t=465854

Last edited by coolasice; 09-28-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by coolasice
for 1998+ you have to turn off engine before changing settings... kind of a downside to it... and if you're electronic savy here's whats inside it...
B&M Shift Plus Revealed - Performance Forum - j-body.org - the jbody organization
Yea i read that in the directions, it was a "note". About the turning off the engine in 98+... I just made the cut

Thanks for that diagram too, that explains a lot and makes sense. You could potentially build one of these, but hell, for the price it's worth saving the time and effort - just buy it! lol