2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

bad surge / lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Beginning Member
rogersblazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation bad surge / lack of power

2001 blazer 4.3L was running fine , check engine light came on so i stopped at autozone , they checked it out said it was the MAF sensor , on the way home it really started to run bad surging/bucking/hardly any power. i replaced the MAF sensor and replaced the cap and rotor , also recently replaced the coil and ICM. it still runs the same as i described up above, i scanned for code's ...no code's any idea's? i checked the fuel pressure also , it is at 60lbs, it idles fine , but seems to have this problem when in drive. in park you can rev it and it rev's normal.would a bad rotor cause this?

Last edited by rogersblazer; 04-06-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What was the MAF sensor code you received? That is a pretty expensive sensor to just be replacing without running through the diagnostic steps for the code.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member

P0101 was the code it gave for the MAF be fore i replaced it i bought a scanner for my self there was also P0102

Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0101 - Mass Air Flow System Performance
P0101 is a pretty generic MAF code. Run down through the diagnostic table and see what it turns up.

P0102 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Frequency

When you get both of these codes, I would suspect a problem with the wiring.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member

i went out and wiggled the plug on the MAF then hooked code reader up and got the P0102 again,could it be i just need a new pig tail for it?the car was running when i did this , i checked for freeze frame but there was nothing there.if i unplug it , it still run's the same, plugged it back in and it still run's like crap , but now im not getting any code's.

Last edited by rogersblazer; 04-06-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Administrator

You cannot unplug the MAF with the engine running or the key on and hope to have it change how it runs. If the key was off and you started the engine with the MAF unplugged and still experienced the problem, then there are other problems.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member

ok. with the KEY OFF i unplugged it, then started it, i took it for a test drive .... it dont surge anymore it just lack's power. sorry if i am being a pain, i am trying to learn about all this computerized/sencortized stuff, i am old school when all you needed to do is adjust the carb, or timming,or change point's . thank you! i do appreciate the help! what should be my next step?

Last edited by rogersblazer; 04-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Administrator

That confirms that there is a problem with the MAF sensor or it's wiring. You really need to run down through the troubleshooting chart to find the cause of the problem.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member

o.k. i'll give it a shot .... after i go buy a multimeter tomorrow, no place open this late out here in the stick's.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member
Angry still surging

i went through the diagnostic trouble shooting, every thing checked out fine
step 9 i had 4.99 volt's step 10 ... checked with test light and also with multimeter had 11.61 volt's , i even took back the MAF i bought yesterday and exchanged it for a different one , and i am still not getting any codes, so basically nothing has changed. any other suggestion's ?

Quick Reply: bad surge / lack of power