2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bank 1 Sensor 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member
richjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Bank 1 Sensor 1

Have a 1996 blazer 4.3 and it threw a code P0310(?) which said O2 sensor bad. Bank 1 Sensor 1 Drivers side, just passed the 3rd plug on that side, right? Was wondering best plan of attack. is it acessible through the wheel well? Was hoping I could use an open end wrench instead of buying that special socket. Hoping for some tips from the Forum on guys that have done this before. All replies and advice welcome. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

you should be able to get at it from the bottom of the car with an end wrench i believe. if its 4 wheel drive then i am not too sure. i know that most of the 2wd you can get them this way. you may just have to jack it up and take a look.

Edit: it should be a 7/8 if i remember correctly.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 PM
spittybays

The special o2 wrenches are just garbage, they stretch and break. A really good box wrench and breaker bar or another wrench to hook in. You cut the wire and slide it through. On a 96 it has most likely been changed and some anti-seize applied. If not and you have a torch bring it with you. Propane helps, Mapp is better and acetylene best. Heat the entire pipe and sensor as cherry as you can get it and go at it.

If it starts to round on you can use a monkey wrench.

Don't feel bad if you just say F'it and take your sensor and truck to a muffler shop and give them $40.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Timbl is on a distinguished road

I have found they come out fairly easy if you do it with the vehicle hot (pipe hot) from underneath. There is plenty of room. Once it breaks loose either wait for it to cool or wear a leather glove to get it out. It will be very hot as well as all the exhaust components. If you have a new sensor in hand you can cut the wire on the old one close to the sensor and get a quality box end wrench on it also.

Last edited by Timbl; 08-26-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added to it
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

if you have the room,a good pipe wrench. More you pull tighter she digs!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Beginning Member

well , the light went off yesterday without me doing anything. I know it won't last forever. It is a 4 WD and it is the original sensor. Thanks for all the advice; love this forum!!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Better check the DTC again. P0310 is a misfire on cylinder 10. Haven't seen a 10 cylinder 4.3L yet Keep in mind that DTC's NEVER tell you that a part needs to be replaced. DTC's tell you what circuit was/is out of range, it's your job to diagnose the problem using the correct diagnostic flow chart.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Beginning Member

Did not have the exact code in front of me when I asked the question to the forum. I did look it up on the internet though; guy at auto zone told me the "bank one sensor one, low voltage(?)" I'll wait fo it to return and take meticulous time and action. Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
Jaylo is on a distinguished road

I changed mine out a month ago. It's loc on drvr side exhaust pipe close to exhaust manifold. Fairly ez to get to. I used an O2 sensor socket.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bank 1 Sensor 1