2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Before I order a new fuel pump on my 1995 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:32 AM
Beginning Member
dbelcourt is on a distinguished road
Question Before I order a new fuel pump on my 1995 Blazer

I have a 1995 Blazer, 4 doors, 4WD. About two weeks ago the trunk one day dies on me in the driveway and hasn’t worked right ever since. It took lots of cranking before it would fire up and even then, engine would bog down if I pressed down the accelerator.

Got loaner fuel pump tested and checked using the fuel pump test wire under the hood.

60psi at prime
55 after 10 min
Can’t get it to idle long enough to get a reading while run.

Good enough? I thought so.

Ordered and installed new ACdelco Cap and rotor. Same thing, lots of cranking, if it starts engine dies or bogs down if I press the accelerator.

Did the fuel pump test with the wire, noticed the pump only ran a few seconds and stopped. Eventually it stop running altogether. I had returned the tester so I’m going by ear only at this point.

#9 Fuse ok, checked the glove box relay, it’s good. I checked the connector at the fuel tanks and grey/black has ~12v when the fuel pump test wire is powered. But can’t hear the pump kick in.

I’m guessing I need a new fuel pump… Before I do that I should pull out the old one and check that it’s not just a broken wire between the connector and the pump motor. I cam across some wire diagram that show an inline fuse somewhere. (Attached) Is that real and could that be in the fuel pump pigtail at the tank?

Did the YouTube thing and checked out this forum and understand what’s involved. A few things escapes me and I’d need some advice.

1) What’s the easiest way to drain the tank, with pump not working? (crap!, just topped it off)

2) I searched around for Delco/Delphi fuel pump, I see the pump motor go for $40-60. Should I get a Kit or the whole assembly? (attached) My fuel gauge a little bouncing but not too bad.

3) I can get aftermarket fuel filter for $8, Delco is $25. I’m inclined to go cheap. Suggestions?

I’ve read that 1995 owners sometime received the wrong parts because of the transition year. My VIN has a W and no Z so I guess I have the CPI. The pump harness has 3 wires, grey, black and purple.

** Which pump do I need?

Thanks guys,
DB

This is the assembly that sell for $100-200

A fuel pump $50 "kit", looks like the motor.

This shows a fuse somewhere after the test wire and the pump. Can't be ECM #9 in the fuse box. Or this diagram is FYI only and not exact.

Last edited by dbelcourt; 04-07-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I have a 95 and have been down the fuel pump road with that truck many, many, times. So I can give you some good advice.

So, every time you do a fuel pump, you should drain the tank. It doesn't take long, and makes your life SO much easier! You need to either remove the pressure fitting at the sending unit, or disconnect the fuel filter. Go to home depot, Lowes, whatever and get a fitting that screws in, with a hose barb on the other. Rina length of fuel line from that to your gas can, and jump the pump off under the hood till she's dry. I've never had a pump die so bad that it wouldn't move fuel. Even if it wouldn't run the car, it should still make a few psi.

I'll never use another Delphi fuel pump in my truck! At least not from advance Auto. Went through three in a year. Get an ac Delco from rock auto. Around $60. I went cheap on the sending unit. If your gas guage works, might not worry about it. It'll bounce no matter what, it seems to be normal.

Now, on the first sending unit I bought, one of the wire connectors under the hood had started melting! Truck ran until it got hot, and lost connection. Wait for it to cool off, and would run again. I've got a pic of it somewhere. I rigged it up and drove with it for a few years, before I finally replaced it.

I've never had an issue with aftermarket fuel filters. Matters more if you change them semi regularly. Always a new filter and strainer when you do a pump.

With a 95 Vin W, you'll want the second pic, where it's just the motor. On our trucks, the motor and sending unit are able to he separated. Kinda nice, when the pump goes its only $60, vs $200.

Never heard of an inline fuse for the fuel pump. As long as you got 12v at the plug and a good ground, you don't have wiring problems.

Any more questions, fire away!

Last edited by cleburne red; 04-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks!

Looks like an original ACDelco with strainer is going to be closer to $100.

The $50 Delco pumps you see aren't OEM.

This guy did a good job explaining original EP381 vs AVDelco chinese pumps.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulle...-not-same.html

Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran

Interesting read, thanks!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Beginning Member

What is this?
I managed to get the pump out. What a pain! I've got a new $78 ACDelco on order. Watched a few YouTube's about the install. Noticed that the kits have a 3-4" hose that connects the pump to the metal pipe assembly. On mine there's a shiny "thing" instead of a hose. What should I do? Keep it, replace it with supplied hose piece? What is that thing?

Last edited by dbelcourt; 04-13-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 PM
BF Veteran

Dude, I've never seen anything like that before on mine

Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Beginning Member

That thing is called a pulsator.

Got the new pump today. Box said made in Brazil. Finished reading the instructions. It states to install the strainer in the same direction. Oups... Didn't notice what direction it was before taking it apart.

pulsator or hose

Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran

Pulsator, huh? What is it supposed to do? That's a new one on me

Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member

Worked on hydraulic systems a while back, so I know what they are for. It acts as a damper and smooth out pressure spikes. From a little Google, they are good addition. GM didn't use them on all production, the hose is cheaper. I got the pump but still waiting for strainer and filter. I took the time to wash the fuel tank with soap. My retaining ring was covered in some black harden sealer. Had to chip it away but managed to save the ring. What should I use to reseal it?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:03 AM
BF Veteran

I've never sealed mine with anything. Isn't there an o ring that goes there? Seems to work for me

Quick Reply: Before I order a new fuel pump on my 1995 Blazer