2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Believe I need to replace the Spider, can someone double check me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Believe I need to replace the Spider, can someone double check me?

Ok, I have a 95 Blazer, 4.3 with 3 button 4wd, 212,000. Needed a lot of work when I got it. I have replaced the starter, alternator, O2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Ran great for the most part after that with a random miss here and there but it was a bit hard to start (had to let the key sit on for a second or two or it wouldn't start on the first try). Was told this might be the fuel filter, replaced that and sure enough it was the original one (sheesh!). Anyway, still didn't totally fix the problem and it started to run rough here and there. Finally threw a code and got P300 (running rich) and a random misfire code. Was given advise that it might be the FPR or spider. Pulled the intake off today and sure enough there was puddled gas around each of the injectors. My original thought was that if it was just puddled under the side of the FPR or not puddling at all then I would replace the FPR. However, since it is around each of the injectors, I am assuming the Spider is leaking and would need to be replaced.

Can someone double check me and make sure I am looking at this properly? Due to the cost of the spider I want to be relatively certain that I am looking at this right. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pressurize the system and look for leaks. The majority of the problems with fuel leaks are at the FPR and at the 'nut kit' (the internal fuel lines).

Old 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pressurize the system and look for leaks. The majority of the problems with fuel leaks are at the FPR and at the 'nut kit' (the internal fuel lines).
Well as I was checking the system, I noticed that one of the lines to the injector was broken and had been mended with a piece of rubber hose and a hose clamp, and that many of the injectors had just one tab left holding it in.

I decided to bite the bullet and bought a replacement from O'Reilley's Auto Parts and installed it. The funny thing was I didnt have the depressurize the system because it was leaking. Installed it, turned the key on for a second, then it fired right up. This seems to have solved all of my problems and runs great now.

I have some pics of the hacked up spider I'll post in a few minutes.....thanks for the advise swartlkk!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

just curious, did you ever replace the lower intake gaskets?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Starting Member
Brent shafer is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me how to change the spider, a web site with pics would help a ton. Please and thank you.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

There are several youtube videos, not all of them good, on the subject. Plus articles here, with pic references IIRC. Which can be found with function bar search or google search {I dont like this site search engine but hey..}

The idea is to not just go by one set of instructions but to fix the big picture in your mind by getting a lot of different input. Then YOU can determine what makes the most sense to you. After that you may feel more confident in how you address repair problems.

One thing to remember is that routing of those lines is very important. Make sure you follow the advice on that.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Starting Member
justinh4578 is on a distinguished road

One thing to remember is that routing of those lines is very important. Make sure you follow the advice on that.
what do you mean by this? The injectors I got didn't have any instruction about line routing. I just copied the way the stock ones were run. They all came out the front of the bracket and went to each numbered cylinder. I am just curious and always willing to learn something. My blazer runs great now but if something starts to happen then maybe i can just check the injectors out again. Thanks