2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

belt squealing extremely loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default belt squealing extremely loud

Last night we had about 3 to 5 inches of rain in my area....it was bad..Wind was about 40 to 50 mph all night. Anywho I remote started it this morning....it started fine....but when I went out it was squealing louder than I ever heard it....im assuming it was the belt which isnt too old. When I started driving it got somewhat quieter but not really. Also heard a clunking noise when I started breaking from the front passenger tire I think

Any insight in why that happened? I mean its been outside during hurricanes and never made that noise...and its the first time I ever heard it do that

Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Starting Member
Robt77 is on a distinguished road

maybe your alternator, water pump or power steering are starting to go, and the high humidity added to the slip. just a guess.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Maybe just the humidity? Could it possibly be the belt? I cant remember when it was changed

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Starting Member

if the belt is shiny frayed or cracked replace it.The humidity is certainly a factor, but if it is really loud I bet something else is to blame. Just another guess, it could be the tensioner. I like the design of it, but i'm sure the springs wear out over time. shoot a little belt dressing on it, if it is just the humidity it should help, but I bet it is more.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 AM
spittybays

I have hit some big water and had that screaming, it always eventually went away after a good dry out. Brakes act real funny after a good soak, just look how fast your rotors are covered in rust after they get wet and dry. If mine sits for a day or two I feel and hear all kinds of funny **** in them.

Give the belt a good inspection, see if the tensioner bearing or anything else seems like it has any play.

One of the belt company's gives away a little belt grove test gage, go to a couple of parts stores. One of them will have them at the counter, there free. Reliable, I don't know. I'm sure it helps them sell more belts!

Read a long thing on why not to use belt dressing, it seemed to make sense but for the life of me can't remember a thing about it.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Starting Member

I'm glad I live in the scorching hot desert. We get less than 5 inches a year in rain, usually all at once. to bad My Jimmy hasn't always lived here.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by spittybays
I have hit some big water and had that screaming, it always eventually went away after a good dry out. Brakes act real funny after a good soak, just look how fast your rotors are covered in rust after they get wet and dry. If mine sits for a day or two I feel and hear all kinds of funny **** in them.

Give the belt a good inspection, see if the tensioner bearing or anything else seems like it has any play.

One of the belt company's gives away a little belt grove test gage, go to a couple of parts stores. One of them will have them at the counter, there free. Reliable, I don't know. I'm sure it helps them sell more belts!

Read a long thing on why not to use belt dressing, it seemed to make sense but for the life of me can't remember a thing about it.
I started my truck after work (9 hours later, with it being beautiful out around 70 and sunny lol) and it definitely wasnt like it was this morning, but seemed a tad bit higher than normal with some squeaks. where exactly is the tensioner? also are you able to lube the bearings of the pulleys somehow?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 AM
spittybays

You will see it. Neverheard of one going its the bearing that goes they come as a single piece already pressed in the pulley for like $12.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Starting Member
Default Goodwrench Gatorback belt

I just read about these on a corvette forum. I heard they don't slip, and reduce vibration which should help your bearings last longer.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

Your tensioner pulley should be directly below the alternator. All you need to do is put a ratchet in there and pull up or down to counteract the force of the spring. I think it's a 3/4 drive but have a few different drives just incase I am wrong.

If it's calmed down on the mad squeaks, I'd let it sit for another day or two in the sun just to see if the moisture was a problem.

Quick Reply: belt squealing extremely loud