2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Black box w/fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:42 PM
mattdean1003 is on a distinguished road
Default Black box w/fuel lines?

Hey folks, we had a little mishap earlier...my back left tire self destructed, ie the recap completely came off (and this was the factory spare, used very very little) and when it did, it took part of my bumper with it and bent out a large flare of metal. Going 40 mph. We smelled a scent of fuel and saw the black box I've taken pictures of just kinda hanging there, apparently knocked down by the impact. What is it? It says "DANGER---FUEL FLAMMABLE" on the 2 small hoses, and there's a LARGE black hose that has a chemical like smell to it also hanging down. The top most fuel line is on the nipple, with a small crack at the base of the box, and the second lower fuel line was completely disconnected, and I clipped it back on. No idea where the large black hose goes, but we put a spare on and drove it home, and just want a little closure on what that is.

The black hose and the line that I reconnected:

The box in question:

The line that I had to reconnect and the rear of that box:

Damage to plastic:

Damage to the metal bumper, yes...the thread coming off the tire did this:

I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow (4 miles) and just see how it does...it's been one thing after another here lately. In the last month and a half, we've replaced the windshield, fuel pump, rear brakes (maintenance, I know), rear right wheel bearing, a front right wheel bearing is on the way to be put on, and I now need a rear right caliper. It's sticking with these new pads and has already wore down the inside pad considerably, not to mention heating the tire up a bit...but having to replace things as I get the money. Minimum wage and less than 20 hours a week really sucks.

I haven't posted on here in a while by the way, and my name is James Dean. Nice to meet you all.

Attached Thumbnails Black box w/fuel lines?-20140330_212744.jpg   Black box w/fuel lines?-20140330_211822.jpg   Black box w/fuel lines?-20140330_211843.jpg   Black box w/fuel lines?-20140330_211921.jpg   Black box w/fuel lines?-20140330_211905.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road

hi james, is it really james dean, how cool is that name!

can the hose not be re-attached to the canister thing. I'm not positive what each hose does and where it goes. I think fuel vents there.

a wrecker will have the proper hoses going there, you could try fixing it or re-run the line going to where ever it goes...

be save.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member
96blazer4x4LT is on a distinguished road

that would be the charcoal canister When your fuel (gas) expands it builds pressure inside your gas tank. There is a fuel line that runs to your Charcoal canister and the gas fumes are pushed through the canister. The charcoal sucks up the bad part of the fumes and stores them in the charcoal. As you are driving a valve is turned and now the reverse happens. Fresh air is pulled through the canister where it picks up the gas fumes and then is pulled into your intake manifold where it goes into the engine and is burned up and comes out the tailpipe as CO2 and Water Vapor (in a perfectly clean burning engine). Key items to having your Canister work properly: a good gas cap screwed on properly and no leaks in those vapor lines.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
83Blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 96blazer4x4LT
that would be the charcoal canister When your fuel (gas) expands it builds pressure inside your gas tank. There is a fuel line that runs to your Charcoal canister and the gas fumes are pushed through the canister. The charcoal sucks up the bad part of the fumes and stores them in the charcoal. As you are driving a valve is turned and now the reverse happens. Fresh air is pulled through the canister where it picks up the gas fumes and then is pulled into your intake manifold where it goes into the engine and is burned up and comes out the tailpipe as CO2 and Water Vapor (in a perfectly clean burning engine). Key items to having your Canister work properly: a good gas cap screwed on properly and no leaks in those vapor lines.
I second this statement.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

technically you can drive with that thing broken but i wouldnt do it for long. gas fumes coming out of your vehicle is bad thing

Old 09-04-2021, 04:24 AM
Starting Member
Countrycrapper is on a distinguished road
Default Recall

Look into or report the incident I had same issue believing the caliper was defective after about 3 weeks of replacing both front, soon after a week apart both front hubs separated from the inner assembly which cause both tire to freeze up, one to fall off an break calpier/caliper bracket/brake line/tie rod plum off the passenger, driver side frooze up, heated up, started smoking, and tire leaned outta,. Had replace almost 800$ in parts, sheriff called, a tow home the first time, 2nd x had drive home backward to prevent it from fully seperating. Bearings were completely squared off, retaining ring broke, along with all maintenance fully used regularly. Usually hubs make a train or cha Cha Cha sound like a card in a bicycle spoke way before failing and still usually do not seperate...maybe tie rod or ball joint would cause seperating of the complete tire but still show signs way before a few hours prior to incidents. This sounded like you described a screeching noise which made me believe the caliper was stuck at first being not even related.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:27 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Countrycrapper
Look into or report the incident I had same issue believing the caliper was defective after about 3 weeks of replacing both front, soon after a week apart both front hubs separated from the inner assembly which cause both tire to freeze up, one to fall off an break calpier/caliper bracket/brake line/tie rod plum off the passenger, driver side frooze up, heated up, started smoking, and tire leaned outta,. Had replace almost 800$ in parts, sheriff called, a tow home the first time, 2nd x had drive home backward to prevent it from fully seperating. Bearings were completely squared off, retaining ring broke, along with all maintenance fully used regularly. Usually hubs make a train or cha Cha Cha sound like a card in a bicycle spoke way before failing and still usually do not seperate...maybe tie rod or ball joint would cause seperating of the complete tire but still show signs way before a few hours prior to incidents. This sounded like you described a screeching noise which made me believe the caliper was stuck at first being not even related.
It's probably already handled (since it happened seven years ago) but, even so, I'm not sure how this is related.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Starting Member
Countrycrapper is on a distinguished road
Default To concern or not to concern that is the question?

Originally Posted by Tom A
It's probably already handled (since it happened seven years ago) but, even so, I'm not sure how this is related.
Probably but I mistook how he worded the spare came off I thaught he meant the whole tire cause then he talks about needing a caliper as well I do believe. But when mine locked up I thaught it was the caliper and wasn't thing wrong it was brand new. As well as ripped right off brake pads still inside caliper and bracket attached. But why does it matter if it does not coralte 100% to the T? They are both Chevy's, they both had tire or wheel issues, have same full system, and bet it's a 4.3 liter 6 cycl. vortec with a spider and 4l60E trans🤔🙃 biggest diff is it's prob equipped with 4x4 and mines a 4x2 whl drive. But there's a few reasons in there somewhere. However corralteing is not fully my intention to my vehical issues it's that if a few peep have same issues and relieze it before heading out to movie night with the fam an hit I70 at 75mph and this happens they will know it could possibly be worse than a calpier maybe even way worse at higher speeds I was going 15 mph when started 1rst time an 10mph the sec...if I'd been going 75mph or even 45moh and tire squrechs a lil and all sudden bam! It falls right off and that whole family is gona loose the ones that are closet or have then handicapped for life. So who cares about the complete correlation how bout if it saves one family , one husband headed home to see his wife, or a newly made mother and her newborn and father, or a carpool full of one single mom and 7 lil girls just getting out soccer practice headed to send off each one to their homes??? How bout the bigger pic is my inquire to you're previous comment?

Here's some pics...

Old 09-29-2021, 04:58 PM
vmarsilii is on a distinguished road
Default Evaporation Canister

I understand it's function and it's necessity for proper Emissions. In the event for a temporary solution in the absence of the canister, can these 3 lines be capped or looped to each other?

Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

If the charcoal cannister has been removed then there is no point in connecting any of the lines together. The vehicle will run fine, generate a trouble code, increase emissions and not pass inspection.

George

Quick Reply: Black box w/fuel lines?