2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Security light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member
bowtie lifer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Security light flashing

Help guys my daughter is stranded... She said her 01 was running for a few minutes when she shut it off noe the ignition key won't turn. Tried moving shift lever and trying to wiggle steering wheel... The only thing that does not seem normal is the security light is flashing when you insert the ignition key. All help would be greatly appreciated as I go to hook up trailer and go fetch her Many thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A flashing security light would indicate that the Passlock system has been activated. Waiting 10 minutes should deactivate the system.

This would not explain why the ignition will not turn however... Something else is amiss that is causing that issue. There may be a problem with the ignition lock cylinder itself which may have caused the Passlock activation.

How worn does the key look?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

Not worn, even tried original GM key that was in a "hide-a-key"

Tired random door lock and unlock with the remote. Even tried the panic button and then clearing it. Seems strange that one minute she had it running and the next, that the ignition switch would go bad. She did power down the windows before shutting down, not sure if it was a sequence issue when she shut it off or like you said something just gave out. I am not familiar with the passlock system so I do not know if there is a reverse sequence to go through to override it.?.?.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For a fairly good explanation of the GM Passlock 2 system, have a read through THIS.

A worn key or lock cylinder can affect the passlock system (hence the reason for the question). If those two things are fine, then the likely cause is a problem with the ignition switch. You may want to try disconnecting the small electrical harness in the steering column that is part of the ignition switch and then simply reconnect it. Sometimes this can clear any tarnish off of the contacts and correct the problem (albeit temporarily). I have read that others have taken this electrical connection right out of the scenario by cutting out the connector and soldering the wires directly together. I have not personally tried this, but it may be worth looking into.

But again, to have trouble rotating the key in the ignition lock cylinder.

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help Kyle. I am off to the garage to pull the ignition swith out of a donor Blazer that we have. I brought my Daughter home and left her Blazer in the school parking lot. Do you have qiuck access to removal diagrams for the ign.switch? Or just common issue how to's? Let me know... thanks agian, Lee

Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

The Tech Article (DIY) section is a wealth of information:
Ignition Switch Replacement - Book Method... by swartlkk
PASSLOCK - Reprogramming Auto Learn by swartlkk
Ignition Switch Replacement by WolfPack

Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info... sorry for the cross thread, my wife posted the 2nd just looking for help. thanks again