2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Rhodes tell your daughter if you want the pump to last don't run it with less than a quarter tank of gas. The pump uses the fuel to keep the pump motor cool.

I'm sorry-stupid me, tell a woman not to go below a quarter tank. YEA RIGHT!!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jigger
Rhodes tell your daughter if you want the pump to last don't run it with less than a quarter tank of gas. The pump uses the fuel to keep the pump motor cool.

LOL!!!!! That's funny!! Thanks jigger, that is good info by the way. I never thought of gas keeping the pump cool and extending the life of the pump. Makes sense. I know one of the things she had problems with was the fuel gage getting stuck or bounced around when the tank was half full or less. I think the new pump will fix that too.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
KRUSHER is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rhodes19
LOL!!!!! That's funny!! Thanks jigger, that is good info by the way. I never thought of gas keeping the pump cool and extending the life of the pump. Makes sense. I know one of the things she had problems with was the fuel gage getting stuck or bounced around when the tank was half full or less. I think the new pump will fix that too.

Jigger I resemble that remark and I'm not a woman! Just joking but mine has gone below 1/4 tank (I don't like stopping) but I try to keep it above 1/4.

Rhodes19 mine does the same thing. I can have almost 1/2 tank and turn a corner, back or pull up on a hill and it will drop to E and the light comes on. sometimes whill driving it will eventually go back up. There has been a couple of times that I forget where it really is and have ran out of gas once! not good.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Maybe it got worn out bouncing on the bottom of the tank! ha ha!

It won't immediatly catch fire or anything like that if you run below a quarter--it just helps prolong things if you don't.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by KRUSHER
Jigger I resemble that remark and I'm not a woman! Just joking but mine has gone below 1/4 tank (I don't like stopping) but I try to keep it above 1/4.

Rhodes19 mine does the same thing. I can have almost 1/2 tank and turn a corner, back or pull up on a hill and it will drop to E and the light comes on. sometimes whill driving it will eventually go back up. There has been a couple of times that I forget where it really is and have ran out of gas once! not good.
Hi KRUSHER,

Yeah, she was having the same problem and the mechanic told us it could be the sending unit. Ok, easy fix. Turns out the sending unit is in/on the pump and they would have to drop the tank to fix it!!! The temporary solution, top off regularly. Of course I had to go bring her gas several times. LOL Oh well. I'll have to sneak it out for a drive every so often so I can catch problems before they occur before they become worse.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Beginning Member

Maybe it got worn out bouncing on the bottom of the tank! ha ha!

It won't immediatly catch fire or anything like that if you run below a quarter--it just helps prolong things if you don't.

It probably did!!! She's run it dry a couple of times. I guess pumps are pumps. I have several salt water/reef aquariums and you don't want to run the pump dry. They won't beak or seize but you do wear them down prematurely. When she comes home next weekend and I give her keys back to her, one of the things I'll tell her is not to let it drop below a 1/4 tank.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
RyanReed is on a distinguished road

I'm Having the same problem with my 99 s10 blazer. Put a new crank and cam sensor as well as a coil. started for a few days, then back to the same problem. hooked up fuel pressure gauge and it is at 68 psi with the key in the on position it will bleed down to 0 rather fast.. Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM
KRUSHER is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RyanReed
I'm Having the same problem with my 99 s10 blazer. Put a new crank and cam sensor as well as a coil. started for a few days, then back to the same problem. hooked up fuel pressure gauge and it is at 68 psi with the key in the on position it will bleed down to 0 rather fast.. Any suggestions?
bad pressure regulator?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
RyanReed is on a distinguished road

Thats my next step in the morning. Also am having an intermittent spark issue. Which lead to the replacement of the cam and crank sensor along with the coil. I'll keep ya posted, i'm sure ill be back on here if its not the FPR