2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer dies when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:14 PM
sffans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer dies when slowing down

I have a 95 4.3 that when you slow down to come to a stop or turn, It will die. It does this most the time when you drive it. It runs fine except for that. I have put new TPS, IACV, Fuel filter, and cleaned the EGR. I am stuck. Its my kids car and he is just wanting to get rid of it now. But it is a very good vehicle. Someone told me something about the torque converter.
Thanks and PLEASE HELP ME.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer dies when slowing down

The first thing I would do run through the entire vacuum system, making sure that you do not have a leak.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM

I have also done that and there does not seem to be any. There are not alot of vacuum lines on the blazer , but there does not seem to be any that are broke.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Blazer now seems to want to surge a little bit about 40. When you give it gas it doesnt react to it. Once again this does not always happen just most of the time. Thanks

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

I forgot to add that now the check engine light comes on now. It says low voltage for the #1 o2 sensor.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 AM

Blazer now seems to want to surge a little bit about 40. When you give it gas it doesnt react to it. Once again this does not always happen just most of the time. Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 AM

I forgot to add that now the check engine light comes on now. It says low voltage for the #1 o2 sensor.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutively posting is considered another form of double posting and is prohibitted. The only time that consecutive posting is warranted is if/when a post has fallen off the first page of the forum section it resides in and a reply has not been made, at which time it is permissible to 'bump' the thread with a post.

Now, low voltage sensor one could be caused by an exhaust leak ahead of the upstream O2 sensor (the one closest to the engine on the exhaust manifold). Do you hear any ticking? It is also possible that a plugged fuel filter could cause this, but that would have symptoms at higher RPM (higher fuel demand) as well.

How is the voltage at idle? It is possible that the voltage is dipping, causing inadequate voltage to the fuel pump, resulting in poor fuel delivery at idle...

I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

Sorry for that,Wont happen again. I put a new fuel filter on. It also runs fine when I start it up and its in park. It now says both o2 sensors are bad.
My kid just told me that the fuel tank has a hole in it. He can only fill it about 3/4 full. dont know if that has something to do with it or not. Thanks again

Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

The rear most O2 sensor is a catalyst monitoring sensor only. The only sensor that has anything to do with the fuel system is the upstream sensor which, as I said, is the closest one to the engine. Being a CPI motor, you only have one upstream sensor.

What are the codes that it is giving out?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 AM

P1133, P0131, P0133, and P0140 are the codes. Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

P0131 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
This DTC is designed to detect an HO2S voltage that remains at a low (lean) voltage for more than a specified number of seconds during the test conditions. This DTC is set under the following conditions:

* There is an HO2S circuit fault that results in a false lean exhaust condition.
* The HO2S is correctly detecting a lean air-fuel ratio resulting from either a vacuum leak or a fuel control system fault.
P0133 - HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
This DTC is designed to detect an HO2S that is slow to respond to changes in the exhaust oxygen content.
P0140 - HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1133 - HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) determines if the HO2S is functioning properly. It checks for an adequate number of HO2S voltage transitions above and below the bias range of 300-600 mV . This DTC sets when the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) fails to detect a minimum number of voltage transitions above and below the bias range during the test period. Possible causes of this DTC are:

* An open or a short to voltage on either the HO2S signal or HO2S low circuits
* A malfunctioning HO2S
* A problem in the HO2S heater or its circuit
* A faulty HO2S ground
For now, I would ignore the P0140 code and concentrate on the B1S1 codes. This looks like it is a sensor failure if not a large scale exhaust leak. I would first check over all of the wiring for damage. Inspect the exhaust system for any leaks. If the wiring appears to be good and the exhaust system has no leaks, then I would change the sensor.

As for sensors, I would recommend only using the AC Delco sensors. The price and availability of some of the other aftermarket sensors make them seem attractive, but it my own testing of many of these sensors, they are not as active out of the box as the AC Delco sensor in the same application. Initial activity of a sensor is a direct measure of its life.

Quick Reply: Blazer dies when slowing down