2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer lunging forward

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road
Question Blazer lunging forward

When ever I start my Blazer up while in parked..It lunges forward for a split second.Why does it do this?This didn`t start happening until I serviced my Transmission last year.All I can think is that the shifter cable needs to be adjusted accordingly.Can anyone tell me why this happens and how to fix it? Thanks a bunch!:

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM has a TSB on this which I have included below:

Bulletin No.: 08-07-30-026

Date: May 22, 2008

Subject:
Information on Slight Vehicle Movement In Park At Start Up After Cold Soak

Models:
2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2009 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

with Automatic Transmission

Some vehicles may rock or move slightly forward or rearward while in park at start up after cold soak. This condition may be accompanied by a clunk noise. This is a slight movement that is more often seen visually, rather than felt, when viewed from the outside and using the auto-start feature, if equipped.

This slight movement is due to the residual transmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply on start up. This movement is stopped by the parking pawl and/or transmission fluid exhausting completely from the clutch packs.

This slight movement has no adverse affects on the transmission and no repair should be attempted. This condition is normal. This can be verified by comparing with another identically built vehicle under the same cold conditions.

To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be utilized as per the Owners Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
GM has a TSB on this which I have included below:
To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be utilized as per the Owners Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked.
Growing up near Seattle with our many hills, one of the first lessons I learned when learning to drive was when parking, you put the transmission in N, then engage the parking brake, take pressure off the foot brake to check that the parking brake is holding, then put the transmission in P.

I also learned how to turn my front tires to catch the curb when parallel parking on a hill.

When my brother and I first moved away from home, we both had found this knowledge was not so common in places like Lubbock TX (where he moved and could not find a hill on which to test his parking brake) and South Bend IN, where I got my first job outside of the Pacific Northwest.