2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

blazer rusting

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member
kfro is on a distinguished road
Default blazer rusting

Hello new member here. I got a 2000 blazer 4x4 2 door a couple months ago and love it except what I thought was surface rust actually ended up being rusted through and have made holes. Under the drivers side door. I have no access to a welder and no skills to use one and am still in school so have a tight budget and can't really pay a shop to repair it. I have read with some effort you can repair rust holes with a fiberglass kit and bondo. I do a lot of tinkering and am fine with taking on a job like this I Actually enjoy this stuff just want to know if it would be a waste of my time or it would actually work and look good

Last edited by kfro; 02-07-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 PM
247monster will become famous soon enough

Rust is a cancer and the only way to stop it is removing it.

bondo is called a "filler" but it's really Not, you can't just put body filler in holes and call it good because overtime it will shrink and if it get wet it will crumble and Crack and pretty much fall out or leave you witha big spongy spot.

The fiberglass body filler (or kittyhair ) is just body filler with fiberglass strands in it again not something I would use to fill big holes with. I've used it to fill very small holes from a stud welder but that's about it

so...all in all I wouldn't do it in my opinion. ..

rust is a nasty sucker and filling the rust holes with body filler. your putting lip stick on a pig, and that lipstick will wear off ...

Last edited by 247monster; 02-08-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

wire wheel the area to get rid of as much rust as you can
skim coat the edges with body filler
lay precut nylon screen over the hole ... glued in place by the body filler
once the body fillerhas dried you can skim coat the nylon screen to fill the hole
Its not show car repair but closes the hole

Old 02-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member

Got a friend to help and ended up doing it right and cutting out the rusting and welding in new metal only using fiberglass just to cover the welds and smooth it out then instead of painting I used rockergaurd on the bottom and went up the fenders with it and it turned out very nice

Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kfro
Got a friend to help and ended up doing it right and cutting out the rusting and welding in new metal only using fiberglass just to cover the welds and smooth it out then instead of painting I used rockergaurd on the bottom and went up the fenders with it and it turned out very nice
That takes me back!! Rock Guard looks surprisingly good along the bottom sides of most vehicles!

Been there done that with black Rock Guard in rattle cans before on a couple cars and an old S10. Thankfully no rust on the Blazer yet.

I always liked to break the transition between Rock Guard and the paint with a double (wide/thin) black pinstripe (tape) and put the thick pinstripe on the Rock Guard side, one thick pinstripe thickness away from it. You might consider this for yours.

Black Rock Guard in the rattle can is a wonder-paint for home rust repairs by a bodywork novice like myself! Difficult to screw it up unless you really get carried away and get runs. Used to get it at the auto body supply store to get fresh good quality Rock Guard. You will need to touch up probably each year - just wash, mask with quality masking tape that won't yank off the pinstripe and spray again. You can also spot it successfully if a little rust starts to bleed through. Have even done the Rock Guard repairs in an apartment parking lot. Eventually it will get too rusty, but you can probably get a few years of decent looks this way depending you how well you did the repair of the hole.

Good job! and I might add that you have a VERY good friend! Was it his idea or yours on the Rock Guard?

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-23-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member

His idea he just did it on an old jeep grand Cherokee and it looked excellent so I did it on the blazer. Also just finished a light tint last night will post some pics once I take her to the car wash

Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Glad you took the time to get the help you needed to do the job properly. some things are just worth doing right and fixing and maintaining your vehicle is always one of them.