2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer stopped running on the road....

Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Starting Member
cmccart82003 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer stopped running on the road....

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have a 2002 S10 blazer 4.3. I was probably a couple miles from running out of gas today when I stopped and put in $15. I headed home and about 6 miles later my blazer stopped running while I was driving. At first I though maybe I had just lost a belt/power steering as the gauges all remained the same. I pulled over and turned off the key and attempted to restart. It turns over fine, battery is fine, not overheated etc...still nothing. I couldn't tell if the fuel pump was coming on or not due to noise. Someone came by and kindly towed me up the road a few miles to a friends house where I left it. I was hoping it was just a clogged filter (although I knew this wasn't likely to happen while driving) so I stopped at a parts store a few hours later and picked one up. On my way home I returned to my friends home (where it was much quieter) and tried it again listening for the fuel pump. I can't hear a thing. Is it possible that this is a relay/fuse issue? I have never had any issue with it starting or running other than maybe 3-4 times over the past 6 months where I have had to turn it over twice before it caught. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Check the fuse/relay for the pump as you stated. If not you may be looking at a replacement pump. After checking the fuse/relay have your friend lay next to the truck (not under it just in case) by the fuel tank while you turn the key from off to run, see if he can hear it or not. If no noise then likely the pump. if there is noise it could be the fuel pressure regulator, OR not enough volume/pressure from the pump which still warrants replacement. At that point you'll need a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike97Blazer
Check the fuse/relay for the pump as you stated. If not you may be looking at a replacement pump. After checking the fuse/relay have your friend lay next to the truck (not under it just in case) by the fuel tank while you turn the key from off to run, see if he can hear it or not. If no noise then likely the pump. if there is noise it could be the fuel pressure regulator, OR not enough volume/pressure from the pump which still warrants replacement. At that point you'll need a fuel pressure gauge.

Ok, not to sound like an idiot. But where is the relay located and how do I check it?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

I've never had to check it on mine, but i would guess it's under the hood in the "relay center" the black box thingy under the hood it might say "fuse center" not sure i don't pay attention to things that ain't broke LOL. The fuse will be in the obvious place, the fuse box LOL. sorry had to.

To check it you will need to figure out which posts do what (there will be either 4 or 5). I only know how to check a 4 prong one. Basically you need to find out which is the coil side and which is the switch side. you attatch a multimeter on the OHM setting to each of the posts on the switch side. should read open/infinite. then attatch a ground lead to one side of the coil side, and 12v to the other side (running a wire to each side of your battery will work). the ohm reading on the meter should then read 0 or close to 0 ohms.
NOTE: obviously you will have to remove the relay from the vehicle to do this.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike97Blazer
I've never had to check it on mine, but i would guess it's under the hood in the "relay center" the black box thingy under the hood it might say "fuse center" not sure i don't pay attention to things that ain't broke LOL. The fuse will be in the obvious place, the fuse box LOL. sorry had to.

To check it you will need to figure out which posts do what (there will be either 4 or 5). I only know how to check a 4 prong one. Basically you need to find out which is the coil side and which is the switch side. you attatch a multimeter on the OHM setting to each of the posts on the switch side. should read open/infinite. then attatch a ground lead to one side of the coil side, and 12v to the other side (running a wire to each side of your battery will work). the ohm reading on the meter should then read 0 or close to 0 ohms.
NOTE: obviously you will have to remove the relay from the vehicle to do this.
Lol...I expected sarcasm...I was only asking because I had read somewhere else that it wasn't in the box so I wasn't sure. Thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the pump doesn't run and the fuses/relays check out ok, test for power at the pump harness before moving to an all out replacement.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Beginning Member
James1965 is on a distinguished road

had the same issues last week, pump quit, replaced it with a New one and it is running poorly. ran a fuel pressure test and it starts at 60psi but with a little throttle it dropped to 40psi.. after 10 mins running time it dropped off to 25 and stalled. sooo.. time to replace it yet again.. parts warrantied, labor not.. such is life.