2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Beginning Member
spiderx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer wont start

Well finally after having an intermediate start up problem for a few months, The thing finally wont start. This week it has been horrible getting it to crank up. Then after a few tries it did turn over.
BUT today I went to start it and it just wont turn over. It got to the point I drained the battery. I have automatic maintaince free 10 amp charger. I left it on for a few hours. But its still not strong enough to crank it up. The more I keep trying the battery just dies more. Its got to the point where it just clicks. I leave it set and then retry and the battery gets a bit of life but nothing more to keep the motor to try to start.

Where do I start? Can anyone tell me what the would be the first thing to check? I checked the battery with a DMM and it read 12v but that was right after I disconnected the charger. So I figure I would give it the night to sit.
I cant check to see if I am getting spark if the battery isnt strong enough.
Would my electronic EGR valve prevent the motor from starting right up? I had this problem for quite some time of having a hard time starting it and just this week it finally has gotten to the point where it just wont start and now the battery is drained.

Just wanted to add what I did.
It was just a hard start up for months. It would cough a bit like it wanted to start up but it would take a few times to get it to turn over. Then this week it was getting worse with not wanting to turn over at all.
I replaced the fuel pump and filter maybe 2-3 years ago. I had it to a few mechanics and was told there is no fuel smell on the dip stick. there is only 45,000 miles on it. I was told to clean the egr valve and see what happens with that. I didnt get to do that yet. There is no fuel smell either. Unless I pump it up a few times then you smell it. I had the pressure checked after the key was turned over and the pressure held at 55-60. The battery is weakening after trying to start it constantly. I charged it up but now you can see the lights on the dash board dissappearing and the headlights dimmming each time you try to crank it over. The cd player and the rear window click as the battery seems to have died.
I was told the starter is fine.
I will check the battery in the morning and see what the voltage is. I know it was like 12.3 or similar. Cant recall exactly. I figured I would give it a rest till the morning.
I replaced the disturbutor cap and rotor this year as well.
It just wont fire up. It was going on for a few months and was intermediate. i would go to use it for the day and it would start fine or after the 3rd try. Then the next time I would go to use it whether it was hot or cold it would give a hard time starting up. It just wouldnt fire up. you would hear it hesitate to start. Give a few puffs and then crank and crank. Then after a few more tries it would fire up.No check engine lights or anything. I have an extra battery that I was going to try out. One I know that is charge and ready for action. I was wondering if the battery was getting charged or not. Its been a while since I used it. So I did wonder about that. I am going to try the other battery. Do you know the cranking rates that are needed for the blazer? Just want to be sure the back up battery is up to the task.
I will try all the voltage tests if I can get it started for sure. But this hard start has been going on for some time now.

Last edited by spiderx; 11-22-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like it could be loose or dirty battery cable connections, and/or a problem with low fuel pressure. Take the cables off the battery and clean them with a wire brush, then tighten them back up. For fuel system diagnosis we need year, make, model, & engine.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM
spittybays

^ +1 Capt. With all the mucking about you may have compounded the problem you are having with a flooding problem. When you get the battery fully charged you might be able to turn it to flood mode by cranking the engine WOT. Hold the pedal to the floor and crank it, if it goes you will have to feather the pedal to clear fuel.
When you changed the pump in 08 did you use a delco or something else?

Oh yea, don't wait for the thing to prime, make sure everything electric is turned off and just jam the key from off to crank.

Last edited by spittybays; 11-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member
spiderx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I rechecked the voltage today with a DMM. It said 12.22. So that was after a charge and wondering if the charger went bad. So I went down to wal mart for a new battery, only had it 3 years with a 9 year pro rate, paid $11 for a new one and threw it in. It hesitated to start at first then cranked it over a 2nd time and it fired right up. The connections were clean. So I am assuming the battery was starting to fail after April when the warranty ran out. We shall see in the upcoming days what lies ahead and if the problem is corrected. Thanks for the help.

I used a A&A auto parts fuel pump. Not sure what name brand off hand. Would have to look over my paperwork. I think it was a lifetime warranty though. That is the only store around that sells decent parts in the area.

Last edited by spiderx; 11-22-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM
spittybays

Did you have to show your proof of purchace. I have one from them that's going bad and didn't keep the paperwork.

Thank's!